Area 11 fishing but not catching report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by hikepat, Aug 14, 2006.

1. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Well after some trouble getting the boat to start we did not make it out Saturday. We had dead batteries after them sitting all winter on just a trickle charger. Finally Sunday we finally got after some Coho in the Sound. We left before first light on Sunday morning heading over across from Des Moines after spending Saturday night in the boats cabin at the marina. We fished there for a couple hours buck tailing flies looking for fish. After only seeing one of the down rigger crews catch one and no hits for us, we flipped a coin to decide to go either South or North. North won so we headed up to 3-tree point for a while. Fishing there was much the same and we saw only one fish boated by a kid and most likely the father. North was not producing so we headed down South to Redondo area. Here there seemed to at least be fish and I was seeing a Silver here and there rolling on the surface. Amie after getting up so early with me decided to take a nap in the cabin and the minute she laid down I got a hit on my rod. It was gone so fast I did not even have time to react. Most of the day we spent reeling in ever 5-10 minutes to get sea grass back off the flies which made buck tailing a lot of work. Man I need to tie up some bend backs before we go out again. Bend backs are not a cure all for keeping grass off buck tailed flies but it can help. I even caught a mass of grass so large it bent the 8-wt double. Then while Amie was sleeping, the big fish of the day hit. It quickly took out over 50 yards of line and I was screaming for her to get up so I could fight the fish while she steered the boat, before she did much more then roll over and say what, it was gone because I could not get a good hook set. The guys in a boat next to me at the time were laughing as I yelled for her to wake up and help. After having that big fish on I was shaking for the next 30 minutes. Who says Steelhead are the only fish to get your heart racing. Those two hits were the only ones for the day and Amie's rod never even got a look. We spent the whole day buck tailing and not casting because we never found any good schools of fish but just a single fish here and there rolling.
    Even though we never landed any fish all day we both had large grins on our face all day because we were finally back to doing whet we love the most.
    We pulled and cleaned the boat and trailer and put it back away, tired but happy once again.
    I now sit here at work more relaxed then I have in many months.

2. martyg

martyg Active Member

I haven't been out in about a week. Launched out of Gig this AM. Hit the ramp at 0530 and it was parked up. It looked like a city outside of the Harbor mouth.

Went North and went South. No decent action. A few weeks ago we were getting into healthy silvers, but it seems to have died out.

3. avs16win

avs16win Member

is bucktailing flyfish speak for 'trolling' ?

4. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Hikepat:

Nice report and thanks for posting it! Sounds like you had an enjoyable day even though no fish were landed. The beauty and sights on Puget Sound are hard to beat. If a fish or two are landed, it is an added bonus!

Roger

5. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    avs16win Bucktailing is a type of trolling in a way. The main diffrences are the speed of the troll is much faster then trolling. I find when buck tailing I will be running circles around those out trolling gear. You want the fly to be almost or even skipping along the surface right in the prop wash of the boat. It's a way of fishing that I myself have used for over 25 years and I guess its up to each to decide on if it fly fishing or not, but most out there do agree that it is still flyfishing in that you are still using a fly, flyline, fly rod and reel and once you find the school or your fishing partner hooks up to a fish you can cast into it to hook up to more fish. The nice thing about buck tailing is you still get to watch the fish take the fly something someone trolling normally never sees. I myself see it no diffrent then trolling a leech or other fly around a lake on your fly rod. Of course you do not have to use a fly rod to buck tail. I first started to fish this way back in around 1975 with a Salmon rod, mono line and a tube fly. In Canada and Washington it been a go way to fish a large body of water looking for the schools of fish that move quickly from one spot to another. The funny thing is while its best known for catching Coho, I have also caught both Sea Run Cutthroat and many Chinook up to 12 LBS this way. In fact the only other way I have caught Chinook that big out on the salt with a fly rod is a slow drift in the current with full fast sink lines and short leaders and weighted flies getting me down deep in an almost mooching with a fly way of fishing that I find is not nearly as fun as buck tailing. You basically drift in the current after an up current cast and slowly you jig the fly with the fly rod slowly up and down.

Yes R Stephens the day out on the Sound was great though as stated by Marty there was alot of company out there with us. There is just something about the roll of the waves and the smell of the salt that I just find relaxing but that may be because I have been out on it since 1974 and it brings me back to a simpler time. :beer2: