Area 13, 10/12 report w/ pics. Coho's got lockjaw? SRC don't!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Dan Cuomo, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Suffering from cabin fever, I went out Sunday w/ gray skies, spitting drizzle. My family took this to be confirmation of my mental instability, and I was tempted to agree. Two and 1/2 hours, and 7 SRC and 1 Coho later, I was smiling like an idiot, but far from insane. Had one of the most enjoyable days on the water ever. The fishing and a nice fat La Gloria Cubana, # 7 cigar was enough to overcome any amount of fog, mist, and/or drizzle. Hell, I'd have tried to ride out a Tsunami!

I am a fledgling fly tyer w/ no obvious talent, for which I compensate by lowered standards re: the rag-ass abominations I'm willing to throw at fish, but apparently if you tie enough flies, and you have no pride, sooner or later you just might tie the right fly for the day you are on the water. Such was the case Sunday. I tied up a weird Clouser type thing w/ pink marabou over white calf's tail w/ some of that flash the resembles a string of luminous pearls in between, and something like a sparkle yarn wrapped over the shank almost to the bend w/ a tiny bit of flashaboo at the bend. I'll include the appropriate names by which these materials are sold, in an edit tonight, and try to get a pic to include. I'm certain it's nothing that hasn't been done before, but MAN did that sucker catch fish! I'd like to see what a good tyer has done w/ that sort of pattern

I killed the batteries in my camera half way through the day, but did manage to get a few snaps. All fish were released as quickly and gently as possible; an effort which almost resulted in my camera becoming my latest offering to the fishing gods.

2. flytyerboy95

flytyerboy95 Future fly fishing guide

Media:
  3. Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson formerly hatman

Nice job, Dan. You have the right attitude, about fishing, and tying.

4. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Right On Dan, you the Man! I wanted to take my Yak out Sunday but I'm babying a darn cold.:(

5. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate the encouragement, Bruce. Beginning to tie my own flies has increased the enjoyment I find in fly fishing exponentially. I approach the whole endeavor in a very different manner now. I love my time at my bench and I can't wait to see what the fish will think about this little twist or that small change in the way I tie various flies. I'm now tying up a few for the son of a friend who I introduced to fly fishing before we moved to WA about two years ago. I've told his Mom and Dad to think about getting him started on tying as a Christmas gift.

6. Randy Lindahl

Randy Lindahl Member

Great job Dan, It's these little stories that allow us to have a little excitement from our own computers.
    Randy