Area 13 One Tug Good Though

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Don Freeman, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +202 / 0
    So with all this weather related time on my hands, I've been working on filling in my fly box with better krill patterns, new sizes colors, materials. You've been reading the threads. So I took 'em all down to the old same place in the South Sound here this morning, on a good 13' exchange.

It was slow for an hour and a a half, with only a couple of 10" SRC jumpers showing. Tried all the new stuff, plus my traditional spider collection. They all cast well, but with NO takes.

Having broken off on a branch down to the 2x fluoro, I finally tied on a chartreuse/white clouser tube fly in the size I usually favor in July, made a long cast and in two strips we were off to the races. It turned out to be a superb trout, around 17", too fat to get both hands around (though I didn't have to touch it), and weighed a couple of pounds. It finally quit burning line after the third trip to the beach, for a clean release.

And that was it. But it was better than the steelheading I've been doing.
  2. Randru Member

Yakima WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Very nice, is it possible to to get a picture up of the tube clouser? If understood the idea of a clouser was to be able to let it drift to the bottom without snagging on the bottom. How do you manage to orient the hook so that it points up or does that not matter?

Ruwan
  3. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +202 / 0
    I'll try to get hold of a camera for a photo; my daughter has taken mine to New Zealand for the time being.

There is a short short length of clear, flexible tubing attached to the aft end of each tube fly, whether the main tube is plastic or metal. When matched up properly, the eye of the hook is of a size that can be inserted with any orientation the angler wants once the knot is tied. If you're going to be dredging on the bottom, you would certainly place the hook facing the opposite side from the eyes,(up) so it would snag less. For that reason, most tiers use hooks with a straight eye. That's what I do when using sculpins and worms that fish expect to find way down on the bottom in the rocks.

With bait fish patterns, I use smaller eyes which give the up and down swimming action that help make clousers so effective, but don't necessarily sink clear to the bottom. I'll often just let the hook ride loose at the back of the fly with out inserting it, or more often like on Sunday, orient it 90 degrees to the eyes. I find this hooks the fish most often in the side of the jaw, with less bloody tongue sticks, or driving the point into the roof of the mouth. It isn't fool proof, but I do find it helps, and it makes me feel like I'm making more of an effort to reduce the injury to the fish.

My daughter did leave her cheesy digital camera, I'll try to get a good picture of a chartreuse clouser to post. It won't matter what pattern I photograph, everything looks green on that camera.
  4. Randru Member

Yakima WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Thanks for the info.

Ruwan