Area 13 Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by hendersonbaylocal, Dec 27, 2007.

1. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Took yesterday off and launched the boat around noon to catch the incoming tide. The southerly filled in shortly after, which made trying to stand up in my little 8' aluminum dingy a bit interesting. Rigged my five weight with a type II sinker and a two fly setup and was into a nice silver on my first cast just down the beach. Further down the beach a few minutes later and I was thick into a nice school of silvers. Wind and current made positioning the boat a bit more difficult than usual, but both swinging and stripping flies from the anchored boat worked well. Made my way back just as the sun was setting. Another great day on the water. Didn't see any cutthroat, but it looks like it's going to be another good year for silvers!

2. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Nice to hear an actual report HendersonBL....what with the early signs of cabin fever creeping in on other reports. :beathead: Well done.

Which flies seemed to be working for you? On the East side of Area 9 some decent sized SRC were available last couple of weekends, but so far silvers are quite small compared with last year. What size were the silvers you located?

3. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Thanks salt dog... I was actually surprised by the size of the silvers this early in the year. Most seemed between 12 and 14" with some maybe a bit larger - didn't take out the tape though. Flies were a yellow/green epoxy head candlefish pattern with a euphausid trailer about 20" behind. The little guy probably picked up 3/4 of the fish. Tried an experiment fishing only with the euphausid without any luck. Seems the bigger fly is a good stimulator/attractor. Has anyone else noticed this?

4. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Haven't seen any coho way south here yet, but have been doing very well on SRC's. I wanted to try a new pattern, so have been using a small olive green chenille job. Can't really call it a bugger, because I don't bother to use any hackle at all. Just over wrap the body with antron in a lighter olive, then kind of tease out the fibers. Small tail of marabou and three or four crystal flash fibers less than 1/4". Not at all flashy, very inconspicuous fly. I've been fishing from the beach on Intermediate outbound.

Went Xmas eve and day, and hooked 15-20 fish both days in the time it takes to smoke a robusto and lose ALL the feeling in my hands. Once I couldn't hold on to the line, it was time for me to quit, but the last take was while I was reeling in my line.

So, from what I can tell, if you skip the streamer it won't hurt the SRC fishing. Can't speak for coho though. Once it thaws, I will be launching the skiff though, I'm ready for some rezzies too.

5. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    The silvers I saw 2 weeks ago were 8-10 inches, so I'm hoping to see some larger ones in other pods.

The Cutthroat were going for a small yellow-green over white tied clouser style with medium bead head, although the biggest SeaRun last weekend was 18", and smacked a little sz 8 deer hair slider on the surface. Might have to try your euphausid tandem rig, once this wind dies down a bit. I have seen it happen in fresh water, where a dropper will get fish off the bottom to hit a surface fly; quite possible that the larger fly gets attention, and draws fish toward the smaller euphausid. Makles sense, especially since the water off the beaches have been a lot cloudier than usual with the recent rains we have had.

Freedon, sounds like you had it wired for a couple of days there: 15-20 fish days is hot.

6. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Interesting... I have had good success on conehead bugger patterns like that too. In white cactus chenille with a tan marabou tail and green cactus chenile with green marabou tail. It's a good fly!

15 cutthroat is a great day!... Didn't keep count yesterday, but it was probably up there. I can't think of anything much more fun than sight casting to fish on the sound.

7. Griswald

Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

I love reading your reports. All of them.

I live on Vashon Is. and fish the west side often.
    For years, I have had very poor luck. I rarely see fish, and I walk and move often...any tips? I follow the tides too!

Best,
    Griswald

8. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Griswald:

Have you fished Pt Robinson(I believe that is what it is called) on the east side where the park and lighthouse is? I have fished it from my boat a couple of times and it looks like the tidal current sets up nicely particularly on flood tides. Some resident coho were there a couple of years ago. Have heard that resident coho sometimes can be found around the Boy or Girl Scout Camp area on the west side if you can access it.

Roger

9. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Griz, Haven't fished the west side, but I've fished the east side (Colvos) by boat and had good success down on the south end. It seems like there are some good beaches on the west side though. Don't know what to say other than keep looking. Try new spots. Cover lots of water. If the silvers are around, alot of times you'll see them jumping. They're generally schooled up, while cutthroat seem to be a bit more independent. Tides don't seem to be as much of a factor on silvers as they are on cutts and they'll usually eat pretty much anything you throw at them. Good luck!

10. Griswald

Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Roger,
    Thanks and yes I have fished Pt. Robinson many times over the years. I have seen many Coho's caught there by gear and fly fishermen. That is a wonderful place to fish, but the tides need to be "right" Thanks for your suggestions about the other area, I know where that is and I will be checking it out again!

Best,
    Griswald

11. Griswald

Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

Henderson,

Thank you too for the help! I often fish almost right across from a certain Kitsap town "O-la-la" You know where I mean.

I have seen fish jumping, but often can not get a strike.

Believe it or not, I am an ok fisherman, I have just not really put in the time, I suppose!

Thanks again, and I will let you know what I come up with this winter.

Best,
    Griswald

12. greenbucket

greenbucket Royalty of Renton

Home Page:
    Griswald-

Great to hear from island folk (spent the summers of my youth there with my dad on Cove Rd. - won the Strawberry Fest Pie Eating Contest in '80 - j.v. division). I have only fished Lisabeulah and only a couple of times at that. Only fish I saw was a couple salmon about 150' offshore, but it was probably my 4th or 5th time fishing the salt - I probably missed more subtle activity than I know. I have heard some encouraging stuff about Pt. Robinson/Beals area, though.

Good luck.
    Aaron

p.s. it's not the same without K2 there, but Sound Food is still great.