Area 13 SRC/Coho reoort

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tom P., Jan 2, 2014.

1. Tom P.

Tom P. Tom P.

Thought I would post on a recent early morning outing to a Marine area 13 beach which turned out pretty surprising. First because of the searun pictured. Never seen one from saltwater so bronze colored and with a large golden spot on it’s belly(?!). Second because I ran into a decent pod of resident coho. Haven’t heard many good reports of that this season. The coho were all cookie cutter 12 or 13 inch fish. Five to hand with about the same number ldr. Four fin clipped and one wild.
    I should have bought a lottery ticket on the way home.

Searun1.JPG
    Searun 2.JPG

2. Tom P.

Tom P. Tom P.

I am sure there is some way to change reoort to report, just can't find out how.

3. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    That's a beauty Tom. Very nice.

4. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

very nice. also had one to hand last week that was more brown colored than normal ? no coho though.

5. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Boy that SRC is in up-river configuration must have just drifted back to the saltwater, good looking fish. He will chrome-up just fine.

Nice day o' fishing!

c/22

6. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Outstanding! I got a bunch of SRCs this fall that were VERY golden. I love that phase! Great work, I am envious as my last several SRC/Beach outing were blanker than blank! Keep it up!

7. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    That is an amazing Searun, nice work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

8. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Yes, nice fish and thanks for sharing the photo

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Nicely done... would have like to have seen a few of his cousins yesterday and today during my casting practice. Now please see my other thread and PM me post haste with all the specifics... but don't tell Dry Fly Larry as he's likely to blow his waders out rofl1.gif

10. dryflylarry

Media:

Oh darn freestoneangler! Haven't you learned to pick up one of those MAPS with the BLUE lines on them yet?????! :p :D

11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Yeah, I have a very well worn Gazzetter but that's old technology. It's so much faster and less rewarding simply goggling my way into primo fisheries.
    loveit.gif

dryflylarry likes this.
  12. dryflylarry

Media:

Ha! Have fun "goggling"…. stonedangler. :rolleyes:

13. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    hehe, dangler, priceless

14. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    oh yeah, beautiful fish you got there. I've only caught a few in the salt that were colored up like that. Usually during early chum fry season, I'm always envious of the ones I don't get to see in person, pictures rarely do these fish justice.

15. Preston

Preston Active Member

The color of a sea-run cutthroat is primarily dependent upon its sexual maturity. Early-entry sea-runs migrating into larger Puget Sound streams fish (those which may enter the rivers as early as July) may retain their silvery coloration for a fairly long period only coloring up as they approach their time for spawning (typically February through June with a peak in March). Late-entry fish (those which will not enter their spawning streams until December, January or later) may begin to color up in salt water.

In larger rivers, early-entry fish make up the majority of the run although smaller numbers of late-entry fish may continue to trickle into the river through February. In small streams emptying directly into saltwater (typical of the South Sound and Hood Canal) all of the cutthroat population will likely be late-entry type. This is probably an evolutionary response to the relative lack of food in smaller streams as well as the low flows of the extremely small tributaries preferred by cutthroat for spawning purposes until swollen by the heavier rains of winter and spring.

16. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

A quick report from my weekend in MA13. I didn't find any cutts, but I did somehow manage to find a family of idiots that thinks that the appropriate spot for rock throwing is directly next to me. Honestly blew my mind when I realized I was seeing rocks land out past my casts, and that they were being thrown by a family standing 15 ft behind me on the beach. I just stared at them until they walked away, because I didn't know what to say. They didn't seem to intentionally be malicious either, just stupid.

17. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Troutrageous- it was good to meet you yesterday.

Did you meet your rock throwing friends down on the beach where we were fishing?

18. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Yep, they showed up just after you went down the beach.

19. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Amazing. You surely demonstrated better self control than I would have- which is probably better for everyone involved.

I have found that most people will give me a wide berth when I'm fly fishing on the beach. Yesterday there were two different dog owners that were throwing balls in the water for their dogs to retrieve and they both saw me and went up the beach in the direction they came from.

20. Tom P.

Tom P. Tom P.

Thanks all for the nice responses.

One of the reasons I enjoy late fall/winter fishing in South Puget Sound is the fish are generally more colorful. Clearly the color transition from saltwater roaming phase to freshwater stream spawning phase begins in the salt but how much of that happens in saltwater vs. fresh I don’t know. I assume that because of the deep color the fish pictured returned to saltwater very recently. A “earlier entry” spawner in a “late entry “ area as Preston points out. The knowledge base on this forum is awesome.

The beach it came off of was a public beach I located some years ago using a “very well worn Gazzetter”(LOL). I targeted it for a year, trying to fish in as many tide and weather conditions as possible over the seasons with a bunch of flies. In winter AM, ebb tide, overcast, and either a pink epoxy head marabou minnow or marabou popsicle stick (great winter SRC fly!) is the ticket.

Another reason I like this time of year is AM, crummy weather, generally reduces the dog walkers/beach strollers/ stone throwers on the public beaches I fish. Sometimes sharing the beach with a non-fishing crowd can be a bit difficult. The obvious solution, O how I wish!…..A boat. Should have bought that damn lottery ticket.

Paul Potter likes this.