Area 4 Memories

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Chris Bellows, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Was looking through some hard drives the other day and found some old pictures from Neah Bay, many of which are pre-digital camera scans. Was digging the graininess and softness of them so I though I would share them. These were all taken in the early 2000's.

Scenics:

[​IMG]
    Sunrise at the Marina

[​IMG]
    Whales in the rips by the Whistle Buoy

[​IMG]
    More whales in flat water

Fishing:

[​IMG]
    Rockfish at Tatoosh

[​IMG]
    Coho feeding on the surface

[​IMG]
    Krill being chased out of the water by salmon below

[​IMG]
    Coho boiling in the krill

[​IMG]
    Rip fishing in the fog at the entrance of the Strait... fyi, there was no wind this day, all the waves and roughness are are from the current.

The Prize:

[​IMG]
    The large coho salmon, this wild fish was estimated at 14-15 lbs before being released.

Only another couple months until we get the 2013 salmon run size estimates and as always I am hoping 2013 will make these memories fade from view.

Chris

2. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Awesome pics, and memories im sure, Thanks for sharing

3. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

That is a prime silver in that last photo. Great shots of the krill swarm too. The food chain off the coast at Neah Bay is so rich. I would love to see it first hand someday, catching fish would be bonus.

4. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

One of my favorite places! Great shots! The coho on the surface shot is something you have to see to believe out there.

5. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Same here. I was really amazed this year at how different PNP was to Possession. I'm sure the same could be said about NB and Seiku.

6. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Thanks Chris!

7. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

8. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Man, that brings back some memories!

When I was a wee lad back in '66 I spent a summer commercial fishing out of NB.

I was 15 and I think Tony, my skipper, was only 20 or so. He was a fishin' nut and really wanted to go commercial so he bought a 20 ft. wood hull I/O and set it up with hand-gurdies and poles. The term for that style of fishing back then was being a "kelper" which I think meant our boat was so small most commercials thought we had to stay in on the kelp beds to fish. But we ventured way out on "the prairie" which were the waters south and west of Tatoosh and went far up and down the coast. I recall often anchoring out behind Ozette Island after a long day of fishing and catching lings and bass for our dinner.

Good times! :)