Area 4 Report

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by WaFlyCaster, Aug 20, 2007.

1. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:
    Fished area 4 from 8/16-8/19

Not all fishing was flyfishing but got quite a few nice coho up to 15lbs on the flyrod.
    Used 4-6 inch Aqua Blue over SeaWeed Green Color with some crystal flash tube fly with nickle cone head with red eyes. I dont really have a name for the fly but it catches fish like crazy...

On the days the weather was calm... (all but 8/17) we did very well for the coho and even got our pinks as well.

Targeted halibut on the 18th and 19th using regular gear with no luck

Got several other bottom fish lings and cabezon.

Highlights from the trip:

Brother in Law caught and released wild coho that had to be pushing 18lbs
    Catching and releasing 15lb Yelloweye Rockfish
    Catching two Tiger Rockfish
    Gray Whales coming within 50 feet of our boat while we were bottomfishing..

Overall great trip... its crazy how many of those wildfish you catch out there though... we must have released close to 75 wildfish in the 3 days we fished for salmon.

And for the bottomfishing the canary rockfish population is exploding out there we must have released more of those than we caught all other rockfish combined...

2. Ed D

Ed D Member

Media:
    Thanks for the report, I'm headed up Thursday night assuming I can rally a few troops.
    That's interesting about the Canary Rockfish, All I've been catching are Black Rockfish.
    I didn't realize that Yelloweye get that big, that's huge.

3. WaFlyCaster

WaFlyCaster Tricoptera

Media:

Yes the yelloweye can get quite large... may live over a 100 years and reach 20lb mark.... state record for washington is 27lbs i believe in canada or alaska somebody got a 30lber??

Where do you generally fish for your rockfish? are you using flies along the kelp beds for the rockfish?

We were hooking the canary rockfish in about 60-120 feet of water using jigs, bait, and flies.. Id be willing to bet if you fished in 90 feet of water in front of skagway you'd catch a couple... we caught a minimum of 10 of those things a day all four days we were fishing.. one day we probably let 25+ go... we were trying to get away from them and everywhere we dropped down we kept getting them all the way from strawberry rock up to tatoosh...

4. Ed D

Ed D Member

Media:
    I figured you were probably going deep. I usually fish the shallower areas around structure, kelp, etc.
    thanks,
    ed