Articulated flies

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ringlee, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Never can find a cheap hook with a large enough eye to run the backing through. What kind of hooks do you use?
    Chris

2. crobarr

crobarr New Member

mustad 3366 in larger sizes work well. i picked up SEVERAL mustad 36890's for under $3 per 100, so i use those quite a bit too. mustad 3407's are another choice. you can find them as cheap as the mustad 9174's (which i think are too short for most patterns if a bead or cone is involved).

3. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Thanks for the hook numbers. I will go look for some.
    Chris

4. crobarr

crobarr New Member

another thing is to use 12lb. backing instead of 20lb. that's more than heavy enough for trout and steelhead.

if you just have loads of time on your hands and still need room in the eye of the front hook, then blind splice a loop into the backing and then just a single strand will be all that passes through the eye of the hook.

as for the front hook....... 2 pairs of pliars works well. i dont cut the hook, i just break it off. if your worried about a sharp edge, then use some hot glue (i don't worry about it).

5. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Media:

I use Gamakatsu B10S stinger hooks and 50 lb. spiderwire to form the loop to attach the stinger hook. The loop is nice because I can change the length that I want for a particular pattern, and if the stinger hook gets dull I can change that as well.