Articulated Fly Swap (New Thread)

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Wayne Jordan, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Received my flies today at work - I am sufficiently leech'd up now! Thanks all for the great flies. Hope you all had a safe new year celebration.

surf

2. So who wants to volunteer to take pictures for the swap gallery?

3. I got a new camera for Christmas and have taken some pic's of flies with it and they have turned out pretty good. :thumb: Spokanefisherman is going to teach me how to upload them in the gallery. So if you want to wait a couple of days I will volunteer. I don't have my flies yet but I can start on them as soon as I receive them. If I have a problem with uploading for whatever reason someone may have to step in and substitute, I will let you know.
    jesse clark

4. Sure that sounds great Jesse! Thanks for volunteering! :thumb:

5. I got mine today!

Great work everyone! :beer2: There are definitely some innovative ideas that I'm going to incorporate into future patterns of mine, in particular, the different ways hooks are connected on the string leeches: furled, tied around the strip, and poked through the strip. All are very effective. One of the reasons I haven't ever tied stinger type hooks is I couldn't figure a good way to keep the hooks from sagging. That's something I have been trying to figure out for my baitfish patterns to get the hook further back. Very cool.

Thanks for hosting, Fishboy.

I now see what a toe tag is and what it's good for. Mine is the unmarked black articulated egg sucking leech. Recipe is here.

That leaves 3 that I'm not sure who did: the black string leech with a furled stinger, the coneheaded purple articulated leech (two hooks) and the purple and green string leech. I sure would like to know who tied the lure that I catch a state record on. :thumb:

Thanks everyone!
    Trev

6. Got my flies today as well. Everyone did a great job. I agree with Trevor about the different techniques for attaching the stinger hook. Always cool to see how other people go about doing things. :thumb:

Jesse and I are getting together Wed night. So we'll try and knock out the pics then.

7. Can one of you tell me how to keep the mono in the furled position? Do you simply just spin it unit it remembers the twists? Thanks!

Surf

8. LMAO! I just noticed who wrote the article that I posted the link to. Looks like it's our very own Don Johnson or someone that has a suspiciously similar name.

Trevor

9. Mine is the purple leech with the conehead eyes. Sorry, I forgot to tag it and include a recipe. I thought about that like an hour after I sent it out. :beathead:
    I left on the front hook, just in case someone might want it there. If not, they are easy to clip off. :thumb:

10. Got mine today....thanks Fishboy!!!

Mine is the purple and chartreuse one.

On a side note about the pwoens squawfish special....its not even close to the real thing. The imposter left out several crucial steps that result in ldr's and squaw hookups. If ya'll want a real pwoens special, I'll send ya one....none of this cheap imitation crap ;) :p

11. Cheap Imitation? What gives? :rofl: You know Pat, not everybody can afford brand name top of the line stuff. My version of your fly is kind of like the generic Albertson's brand cereal that some of us have to buy. :D What can I say, just trying to make fly fishing affordable for the masses.

12. Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the flies; they are all very nicely done. Sorry I was so late and that I forgot my toe-tag.

My contribution was the all-black leech using the red Daiichi octopus hook furled with the red Amnesia (15# if memory serves we correct). Straight-cut rabbit was used for the tail, cross-cut for the body and the lead-hook is (was?) a Mustad 1/0 (36890 I think).

...and yes, the guy with the suspicious same name is me; that's my cheezy web site. There is also a full-blown article on www.salmonfly.net, which I believe has a link on this Forum somewhere.

Thanks again and Happy New Year!

Don Johnson

13. Sweet - thanks Trevor and Don - appreciate the how to pictures.

Surf.

14. hey swappers I tried to get the fly pics in the forum and I was only partly successful I ended up with triples of some and none of others. I will give it another try tomorrow.
    jesse clark