Articulated fly swap...

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Wayne Jordan, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Wayne Jordan

Wayne Jordan Active Member

Anyone interested in doing a dirty, mean ,and nasty "I'd rather be dredging this articulated fly" swap?

2. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Well, I have never tied one and never fished one, but I've seen them on TV. :rofl: If you are willing to let a beginner/intermediate tyer in, I think that I could probably manage an articulated egg sucking leech pattern. How long do the tyers get to produce the flies?

Trevor

3. Wayne Jordan

I was thinking 10 tiers max and a due date around Christmas....

4. Trevor

Trevor New Member

I think by Xmas, I could likely tie up the 100 or so flies that it would take to get 10 flies that look worth while. I would very much like to be involved.

Trevor

5. Wayne Jordan

Cool. 8 more people and we have a swap... ;)

6. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

I'm in - purple egg sucking bunny string leech..I can tie true articulated style if you want.....but these are faster and give the same result.

surf

7. Wayne Jordan

Sweet! If we can get enough people I'll either be tying a marabunny or a skagit minnow...

8. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

never tied an artiiculated fly. does a salt water popper count as one? I would be interested in seeing some of these posted if you could. I'm quite sure that several others on this site would also. Thanks

9. Trevor

Trevor New Member

10. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Incidently, the fly that I mentioned I would tie above would be tied in black.

Trevor

11. Diehard

Diehard aka Justin

I will join in. I was thinking of tying a purple pattern with dumbell eyes.

12. Wayne Jordan

Sounds good guys, once everyone gets back we'll see if we can get a couple more people to join in....

13. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Thanks for the link Trevor. it's ironic that I looked at that very link last night before shutting down this box. That pattern looks pretty cool. I was thinking of trying it on some of those BIG Kamloops trout that I was after this past summer. They look like they might just be "the ticket". I'm imagining that you are tying these for steelhead and salmon but, have you used them on big trout (or smaller 18"+)? How did they work and what size hooks would you use? Thanks again, Randy

14. Wayne Jordan

I use them quite a bit on lakes, especially ones that have browns in them. One of my favorites is using black spey marabou spun on both hook with a little red krystal flash mixed in...

15. Trevor

Trevor New Member

I've seen articulated Damsel flies tied down to 14's but most of the leech type patterns that I have seen are tied on 4's or bigger. The leeches are pretty killer for most big predator fish particularly in lakes (trout, pike, tiger-muskie, bass). I've read that most western lakes contain leeches of some manner or another.

I'll be tying my leech on half of a Wandington shank for the front end and a Daiichi 2051 #3 for the business end. Not sure if I'll use mono or Dacron for the hinge.

Trevor

16. fishboy,

You can count me in. I'll tie up the Pwoens Squawfish Special. He claims it's a steelhead fly but for some reason I only catch Squawfish with it :rofl:.

17. Wayne Jordan

Excellent! I've been looking for a good squawfish pattern :D

18. Bump

Hey Guys,

Just checking in to see where everybody's at. Are we still waiting for more tiers? Not trying to be pushy. Just want to know when I should start & finish tying. :thumb:

19. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

The marathaon swap is taking December off so I have time to do this Articulated fly swap. I would do something I have been working on for inland lakes tied on size 6 or 8. So count me in...
    jesse clark

20. Wayne Jordan

So it looks like we have 7 people... That works for me if you guys are down with it. Let's start tying and I'll send you all my address...