Articulated Madness

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ed Call, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Flies are done, I'll be there.

2. Gary Dills

Gary Dills 3 weight to 10 weight

:beer2:
    Had a great time meeting with the Madness Tyers. Some great looking flies. Face to face is a cool way to swap. Hope to do it again this winter. Thanks Ed for putting it together.

3. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

That was my first swap, I had a great time, got some sweet flies and met a bunch of great people! Thanks for puttin' it together Ed, it was well worth the drive!

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Thanks to all for coming: Kelvin, Banzai, Gary, Daconil, Kim, Matthew, Chris and Ben. It was fantastic to see many of you again and meet the rest of you for the first time. Killer ties for sure. I'm hopeful to upload them to the gallery shortly. Thanks to those that drove such great distances to participate in this face to face swap hosted in downtown Kingston. We had travellers who came from Olympia, Sequim, Bellingham, Seattle, Ferndale, Bremerton and Kingston. That is a level of committment that can only be called crazy cool. Who's hosting the next face to face and what are we tying?

Photos of your awesome flies are UP in the gallery.

5. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Looks as though you had a great time. I wish I had been up to attending the swap. Next time, maybe. As I recover, I have the terrible urge to fish. As my arm recovers and I get the feeling back in my hand, I'll get back to tying but until then, I'll keep up with you guys via the forum.

6. Ed Call

Steve, we missed you for sure. We told a few jokes at your expense, just laugh and know that they were funny! Ben took on a special project for you...keep an eye on your mailbox. Once you are back on your feet and ready to fish you'll have a little sumpthin sumpthin along the lines of Articulated Madness. Hope you are doing well and the mend is going smoothly. Many of us talked about the face to face pink swap, hanging with you and getting out on the water with you soon.

7. Steve Saville

Thanks Ed. It's good to have friends and I hope you guys didn't go tp too much trouble. I hope to be ready to fish in a month or so. I'm burning up to get my spey rod out and do some steelhead fishing and I have heard that the silvers are in at Dash Point, within about 50 feet of shore at high tide. I stopped at the pier one day last week just to get some fresh air and a friend was fishing there. While I stood there talking to him a small school of about 10 silvers came in close to the pier and just milled around, chasing a few of their lures but none bit. They were feeding and he said that another friend had caught one on a pink and white fly a day or so earlier but had then lost the fly. Such is luck but that's encouraging.

8. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Ed here is my version of what you talked about at the swap
    I like the looks of it and can't wait to see what the local chums think

Thanks for the swap and the pattern idea

9. Ed Call

Kelvin, you know I'm fond of the first two for sure. Those will get hammered, period. The third looks damn good too. As for the fourth, a bit of a twist (pun intended) on that shank, I like the looks of that one too. You are motivating me to get to tying. I have some stuff to produce for an upcoming swap. Nice work my friend. You tied them better than I could have possibly explained.

10. Steve Saville

I returned from school today, half day still and retrieved a package from the mail. You guys are too much! It took a lot of effort to tie the flies and I am so grateful that you cared enough to include me in the swap even though I couldn't be there. By way of explanation and now that I'm not as emotional as I was three weeks ago, I wanted to let you know briefly what happened. Most of you know I fell on the morning of the fabled Pink Salmon Fly Swap. I went to the doctor that day and got a clean bill of health but the doctors didn't look far enough. The resulting bruise on my leg filled me up with blood clots from chest to knees and had my wife not taken me to the hospital on Labor Day, I would not have lived. I was lucky to have a couple of really good doctors who basically saved my life from the clots and kidney failure as well as a nasty chemical burn to my right arm that was a result of a failed IV. There were about six or seven days when I thought I would lose my right arm at the elbow but thanks to some good doctoring, I have gotten away with it intact with only some major scarring and a numb index finger which is coming back slowly. Fourteen days in Intensive Care and Critical Care and now home for a month and I finally get to go back to work full days next week. I still can't tie and it will probably be several months until I have enough physical strength to fish for more than a few minutes. I look forward to those days when I can swap with you guys and fish with you again. Until then my thoughts are with you and thanks so much for thinking about me. I'd like to do another face to face at my place again in the future.

11. Steve Saville

Ed and Ben and the rest, check my post under the Articulated Madness swap. Thanks so much!

12. Ed Call

Steve, Ben's idea, all credit to him. I just presented it to the rest gathered around the table. I knew much of, but not all the deep details of your situation. I'm so glad to have met you that day and spent some time with you, glad to hear you are on the mend and out of danger, and I'm looking forward to fishing with you again.

13. I'd have to disagree and say credit to all involved in the swap, because without the flies, there would have been no package. Steve, I'm very happy to hear you're doing well. Now go catch some fish on those flies for us!!!

14. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Glad to see you are on the mend Steve. I didn't know the details of condition til now. Scary! My prayers to you that your recovery is compete and rapid.