Articulated Streamers

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by SteveN9, Jun 30, 2010.

1. SteveN9

SteveN9 New Member

I am planning a trip to Missoula in a few weeks and I decided to make it a "streamers only" trip. I am trying my hand at tying a few variations. Theres a lot of awesome stuff posted here, so im hoping for some suggestions, colors, sizes, tricks... Here are a couple i tied in #6. Sort of a variation on the double screamer and sex dungeon... Thanks!

2. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

streamers only..... even if you see some big fish rising?!?!?!?!?!!?

3. pittendrigh

pittendrigh Active Member

Home Page:
  4. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    I just tied up about 75 sex dungeons for a trip to MT. I didnt end up using one of them on the trip. I believe in the streamers. HINT: get Kelly Gallops DVD from the library!!!!!!

5. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    Your flies will work perfectly. Keep them large as even small brown trout will hit those things. Fish especially hard during the crepuscular hours (dawn, gloaming).

I'm sort of a streamer tying addict and tie virtually everything I find out there. In MT however, I tend to favor articulated patterns like you've tied. I subscribe to Galloup's color theory and keep changing flies (about every ten minutes if I'm in a boat) until I find the color of the hour/day. Patterns I've come to love are T&A variants, Peanut Envy (conehead version of circus peanut), Mike's Pecs (tied larger than on the Galloup site), Sex Dungeons, articulated McCune's sculpins and rabbit strip crayfish.

I applaud your "streamer only" trip. Personally, I do a similar thing where I refuse to throw anything but streamers when drifting. I will break down and nymph runs when off the boat and fish dries to rising pods.

6. SteveN9

SteveN9 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I had this idea after watching Kelly's DVD when he was talking about catching the fish that tries to eat the ones you see rising! There will be a 5wt involved but im hoping to have the discipline to leave it alone most of the trip... Im playing around with this stuff. Got some peanuts tied up and sculpzillas on the menu too. I am also doing a bunch of butt monkeys and chubby muffins and cheating by using eze-bug and pugalisi dubbing brush stuff for the heads, theyre faster ties and i think they sink better too. Man, the names on these flies turn up some weird stuff if you google for tutorials.

7. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    the biggest fish i saw caught this year was rising to beatis and ants, it ate a 7 inch baitfish pattern. the thing about fishin bigger flies, 6+ inches, is that the little guys dont come after them. thus you avoid un necessary casualties. a fly with a stinger hook is not an articulated fly, it must have a joint to be articulated and to really have the right action. the two flies you have posted up there look good, just make them bigger if you want to sort out the men from the boys. good luck!

8. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Ginger Snap! That fish totally had it comming.