As close to fly fishing in a bathtub as possible

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by silvercreek, Nov 10, 2013.

1. silvercreek

silvercreek Active Member

2. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Ok, that was pretty cool. Dude sure whacked the hell out of the fish though, didn't see that coming...

Dan

3. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

That was cool there's a pool I fish like that on a creek in Cali.

4. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Very cool! I would not have bonked it myself but to each their own when legal I guess.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Huh. I am not even sure what to say.

Alexander likes this.
  6. psycho

psycho Active Member

Those muskeg holes are interconnected, you can go down through the surface between them. Filmed in one of the Scandinavian countries.

7. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I love that he felt the need to reel in all his line. Sure took him a long time to bring it in.

8. Nick Clayton

Lol I had the same thought

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Yeah, and he HAD to weight it too. Guess the guy must have been hungry or he hadn't caught and released any fish in his life.

10. JE

JE Active Member

Fine to keep and eat a few if the regs allow and the fishery can handle it. I don't get the clubbing though, a quick twist of a sharp knife directed between the eyes at the otoliths kills the fish instantly and does not damage it.

11. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

If I keep, I prefer the cruel method of racking the gills and letting the fish bleed out.

This spot reminds me of a couple of muskrat holes that developed on the Ford. The holes would be isolated from the creek like little water islands and fish would come into them because of the protection. They were almost always good for a fish if you could sneak into them and drop in a scud. Now the landing was always interesting, but fighting through a hole I will admit added a new dimension to the sport.

12. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I believe in some areas of Europe (Switzerland??) it is illegal to practice catch and release of trout and the successful angler is required to "dispatch" any fish caught with a blow to the head.

That said the video reminds of fishing Lake Marie near Fall City where the floating bog islands would move about creating open spots and slots among the brush and trees growing on the floating bog Islands. Use to catch the small trout in those open spots but of course with that unstable ground it was always possible that the days adventure might included not only some trout but some impromptu swimming.

Curt

13. silvercreek

14. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

A friend of mine was a fish bio on the Yakima for years. He told me that on a couple of occasions, they tracked fish (with chips) 15 - 20 ft away from the river. They thought they had been eaten by a bird or something, and the chip was on the ground somewhere, but couldn't find it.

A couple of weeks later, both fish were found (alive and well) in the river. They went back to that original spot, and found these underground tunnels that flowed along the Yakima.

Alpine4x4, Thomas Williams and Irafly like this.
  15. Nick Clayton

While on vacation in April my family and I took a tour of an old underground gold mine just off I-5 near Kellogg, ID. They had some deep underground pools that had been formed as they mined, and years ago planted some rainbows in them. It was pretty weird to be standing several hundred feet underground staring into a small, dark pool with huge rainbows swimming around it. Not much room for a backcast, but one could easily dap an indicator and a couple of micro leeches ;)

Irafly and Blake Harmon like this.
  16. Nathan Weston

Nathan Weston Member

For sale,
    Like new line only lawn casted.

Great video

17. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Except for the abrasion wrapping around the bog... I think I heard the fishing jumping behind him at one point.

18. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Yes catch and release is considered cruel here in Germany and many other European countries. I couldn't disagree more. This will be one law I will be breaking in a daily basis and not lose sleep over it, especially when hooking up with wild trout and grayling. I think C&R is gaining in popularity here but a lot of damage has been done. That's why all the Germans are carp enthusiasts.... Everything else is dead or the water quality doesn't support it. Heck they even eat carp here like its a prime silver salmon steak... Bleh

triploidjunkie likes this.
  19. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

The angler seems to be Norwegian. I thought he sounded familiar, and the title of the video is ørret i kulpen, and that's Norwegian (I'm pretty sure). I have no idea the location but my Dad cut peat for fuel as a kid so they must exist in Norway in relative abundance.

As a plus sized man, you couldn't pay me to walk out on a peat bog like that. Those places collected people and wildlife for thousands of years. Not as bad as ice or tar, but a good runner up.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  20. silvercreek

This is a bit off topic but there is hope that the catch and kill law will change in Germany.

A team of researchers in Germany have concluded that fish cannot feel pain. Since the basis for catch and kill was that repeatedly catching a fish was akin to torture, this new study contradicts theassumption that is the basis for the catch and kill law.

http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.aspx?ItemId=133558&CultureCode=en