As close to fly fishing in a bathtub as possible

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by silvercreek, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    Too bad we just can't ask the fish its preference. Sorry I caught you fish, but would you rather:
    a) be bonked on the head with a wooden club
    b) have your throat slashed
    c) have a sharp knife driven into your brain
    d) be released to (hopefully) live another day.
    Irafly likes this.
  2. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +791 / 0
    I've cast into openings in bogs before and caught fish doing it, but nothing as big as that one. I presume that his scale measured in kilograms, and that fish came in just over 1 kg, = 2.2 lbs! On light tackle he had to work to keep that fish from wrapping him up under the floating vegetation mat.

D
  3. silvercreek Active Member

Ratings: +207 / 0
    I understand where you are coming from in that C&R preserves the population of fish better than C and Kill

But if fish were sentient beings they would say that your choices are incomplete. It would choose e) not be caught at all, which is what PETA wants people to believe. It is a slippery slope when we consider a hypothetical situation in which a fish "thinks" rather than how we fishers can both use and preserve the resource.
  4. NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    interesting comments, I got to say, I dislike seeing fish being bonked, that's just me, but I would do it if I had to, enjoyed the video
  5. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
  6. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    So was that grass a floating mass, or a thin crust of limestone through which one might fall. Nasty place to try to get out of! Could also be Swedish, since the languages are very similar. Sounded Norwegian, though. "Ya Sure, you betcha" covers both:D
  7. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    That was a cool vid.
    Now that I understand what/how that pool was formed it would be a bit scary to walk around on.
    To bonk or not to bonk was not the ? sometimes some of you guys make me scratch my head.
    As a hunter and eater of meat, I got to kill it before I cook it.
    Bonking is good, just my .02
  8. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    Id be up for a snorkel to see what monsters are lurking down there, possible wetsuit required
  9. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +321 / 0
    If in military.... UCMJ would not be your friend if caught breaking laws in foreign countries..... "when in rome".
  10. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    That was awesome!
  11. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    I am well versed in UCMJ and rules and regulations thanks.
  12. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    ucmj only applies when caught, kinda like when the e8 is banging the e3 nobody says shit until your the example
  13. silvercreek Active Member

Ratings: +207 / 0
    On another BB, one person was familiar with this type of fishing said that the reason for casting to the hole from a distance was to avoid spooking the fish.