Assault floating river question

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Wayne, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member

Well I finally had a chance to take my single man assault down the river. I had a great time and used the flip fins for most of my navigating except in faster water. If I got lazy and quit finning and just let myself drift I would always end up backwards! This is very annoying anything I can do to stop this from happening? Also there was times that I wish I had brought my anchor to hold my position in slower water wher there were fish rising. Is this a good idea? I have the scadden depth charge anchor and a Scotty anchor mount , I'm guessing there may be a better(safer) anchor to use in the river.
    Thanks wayne

2. psycho

psycho Active Member

I use half inch chain for my river anchor, about fifteen pounds of it for my ten foot Scadden Skykomish Sunrise H2O.

3. PT

PT Physhicist

You don't have to kick vigorously to keep your line. An educated flip here and there should keep you heading the right direction. Bring the anchor. Use it with a bit of caution. Practice with it a bit in some safe water and you'll figure it out.

Bill Aubrey and Ed Call like this.
  4. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Agreed but I would personally use more than a bit of caution with Scotty anchor mount on the stern in a river because you can't quickly cut the rope below the jam cam in an emergency when it's centered 3 feet behind you with a seat back and possibly gear in the way. I'd feel better about a stern mounted Scotty if I could rig a cleat; maybe a rappel Descender clipped to a strap on the tube, just in front of me and bypass the Scotty's jam cam.

Ed Call likes this.
  5. PT

PT Physhicist

Brian, very good point. The Scotty mount isn't what I'd consider a river anchor system. Give me a LeeLock for that app.

Ed Call likes this.
  6. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Brian and PT,

How would you rig a LeeLock on a Scadden frameless? Any ideas?

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Bill how about a biner and one of those line wrap clamps? You could flip the line out or cut it quickly.

8. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

I haven't seen a LeeLock. I'm just brainstorming here... you could use two Scottys. As I mentioned before one on the stern bypassing the jam cam just to have a fixed anchor mount standoff at the stern. They are kind of big for this and might catch the fly line too easily but maybe mount a second Scotty on a gunnel just in front of you to use the jam cam. Perhaps routing the rope forward to a small swivel pulley strapped & clipped to the bow and come back to a Scotty mounted just in front of the seat. Or maybe you could find or modify a cleat with a smaller profile by cutting a slot for a strap sideways through the base to attach to the gunnel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2