Atlantic salmon fly ID

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Preston, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Preston

Preston Active Member

Help! I have acquired an Altantic salmon fly from the vise of Harry Lemire. After going through all of my references, the closest thing I can find is the Lorne (from a color plate in Kelson's The Salmon Fly). Do any of you Atlantic salmon fly tiers have any helpful input? IMG_0678.JPG

2. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

Preston, You clearly miss spoke, While the fly is from Harry, it clearly did not come from his vise.
    You have a nice Highlander (Francis Francis) from "in hands" Harry Lemire. Sure miss that man.

Bob

3. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Preston, I believe Bob is correct, it appears to be the Francis Francis version of the Green Highlander... You're fortunate to have it.

4. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

Mark While it has similarities to a Green Highlander by a number of authors, FF only lists it as a Highlander.

Bob

Attached Files:

5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Awesome fly, congrats.

6. Preston

Preston Active Member

Y'know, shortly after posting this I realized that I had misspoken and that someone was sure to point out that Harry tied "in hand". My copy of Mikael Frodin's Classic Salmon Flies shows Pryce-Tannatt's Green Highlander pattern which differs a little. And yes, Frodin indicates that Pryce-Tannatt's Green Highlander is derived from the earlier (and slightly less complicated) Highlander (as per Francis Francis, A Book on Angling) the descripion of which fits exactly. Many thanks guys!