Atlantic Salmon Fly International - May 17 & 18th

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Megan, May 5, 2014.

1. Megan

Megan New Member

Some of the greatest salmon fly tyers in the world will be in Renton on May 17th & 18th. If you are interested in picking up some new tying tricks or getting into salmon flies this is an event you can't afford to miss.

This is likely the only time this international event will be held in the US and we are so fortunate it is being held in Washington. People are driving from North Dakota and flying in from Russia just to check it out - they aren't even tying at the event!

In addition to tying, there are HOOK making and feather DYEING demos and a silent auction to boot! They have items for the serious collector and average joe - Harry Lemire's one-of-a-kind Saracione reel, Hardy reels, fly rods from Burkheimer, Meiser, Sage, & Echo, and beautifully tied and framed flies. There will also be gear from their sponsors - Filson, Sage, Simms, Creekside Angling, Orvis, Eddie Bauer, Dry Fly Distilling.....and a Scadden pontoon boat up for raffle! banner.jpg

http://www.asfi-expo.com

http://www.nwsalmonflyguild.org

An International Celebration of the Art and Passion of the Atlantic Salmon Fly

On May 17 and 18, 2014, Atlantic Salmon Fly enthusiasts will experience an event like no other. Hosted by Seattleā€™s Northwest Atlantic Salmon Fly Guild, Atlantic Salmon Fly International (ASFI) is a first-of-its-kind event strictly celebrating the Art and Passion of the Atlantic Salmon Fly. None of us would be tying these flies were it not for zealous salmon fly tyers sharing their knowledge face-to-face over the eras. The robust tradition can only continue so long as we continue to make new friends and share our passion with fellow enthusiasts.

While the Internet has made sharing knowledge easy, and making new friends in other countries possible, there is no substitute for tangible camaraderie and learning in person. ASFI aims to take virtual reality into the flesh for and old-time learning experience. Long-distance friends will have a chance to meet, new relationships will be forged, and tyers of all generations can share their knowledge.

Currently, no less than ten countries will be representing, from Japan to Germany, and we have only just begun! The best Atlantic Salmon fly tyers from hairwings to the most complex, gaudiest Victorian featherwings will demonstrate their skills and share their knowledge on tying and fishing these storied patterns. ASFI will not only feature fly tyers, but also have hook maker demonstrations, dyemasters teaching the craft of colors, and seminars on history, design, and methods are to be had.

We look forward to your participation in maintaining the momentum of the tradition, and making the first ASFI a success!

Please see our website for a full listing of tyers, schedule of events, presentations, and information regarding sponsors, exhibihors, non-profit partners, and auction items.

You can also follow us on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ASFIEXPO

meiser.jpg meiser.jpg renegade.gif burk.jpg hardy.jpg
    framed flies.jpg

plaegreid likes this.
  2. Megan

Megan New Member

Here is a tentative list of auction items. Enjoy!
    Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 10.28.36 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 10.28.28 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 10.28.05 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 10.28.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 10.28.44 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 10.29.00 AM.png Screen Shot 2014-05-07 at 10.29.10 AM.png

ComeOnSounders likes this.
  3. speyflyfisher

speyflyfisher Member

Wow that's a lot of auction items. Depending on how well it's attended there could be so real bargains

ComeOnSounders likes this.
  4. Megan

Megan New Member

We hope there is something for everyone! A few bargains and a few gems, and a lot in between!

The fishing gear is a great reason to attend even if you are not interested in salmon flies!

The Scadden pontoon boat will also be up for raffle. Tickets are $10 so someone will be taking home a brand new, limited edition boat for $10... unless they buy more than one ticket ;-)

5. Bob Newman

Bob Newman Member

Geez Megan, if you hadn't put a picture of your dad in there I might have come over from the dry side !

Megan likes this.
  6. Megan

Megan New Member

Hey Bob, just admit it. You think he's cute. And I better see you there.....

7. ComeOnSounders

ComeOnSounders Member

Looks like fun to me. I'm in!

8. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

Looks like I have taken leave just when all the fly tying expos are complete. Wish I could attend... Maybe in 2015......

9. Megan

Megan New Member

Unfortunately I don't think there will be a 2015. This is a one-time event and IF it is held again, it will likely be in Europe....

10. Megan

Megan New Member

Just a REMINDER:

Atlantic Salmon Fly is this weekend, May 17 & 18th from 9 - 5 pm at the Renton Pavilion Event Center (233 Burnett Ave S, Renton, WA).

We have the venue all set-up and it is out of this world. I would post a picture but want to save the wow-factor for those who are attending. The fly tyers have been arriving all week from all around the world and are ready to go! We are setting the silent auction up tomorrow and hope we won't be taking any items back home.

For those attending the Sandy River Spey Clave, I suggest you save energy to swing by ASFI on Sunday when the clave is over. That's what I hear a lot of folks are doing who want to do both events.

We hope you can make it. It's going to be the perfect rainy weekend to check this ONE-TIME event out and pick up a few items on your wishlist in the silent auction.