August Pink Reports

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jwg, Aug 1, 2011.

1. knotabassturd

knotabassturd New Member

Mr. E- thanx for the antislime tip :) I'll have to try that next time.

Steve- you aren't kidding about parking at DP. I wasted a good 30+ minutes trying to park early afternoon Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. Forget combat fishing, it's combat parking there! People getting towed too. About time the way some people were parking although I think it was from expired tabs? That was the rumor. Gee ya I'm going to illegally park with expired tabs and go fishing. Great thinking and planning there. About as smart as me trying to find parking mid day on a weekend there :)

2. Matthew Kaphan

Matthew Kaphan Active Member

Go smaller and sparser. Maribou tail, pink crystal body, bead chain eyes. That's it. On size 8 or 10.

matthew

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

That's how I roll in the rivers for sure. I had way better success on tungsten head/size 6 streamer hook in the salt (as I previously posted about). But small, super sparse, and slow sinking seems to get the job done in the river.

4. JayB

JayB Active Member

Seems like there's been a pronounced slowdown in the MA11 fishing over the past few days. Hopefully we're in some kind of a gap between the scouts and the main body of the run.

Seems like we were approaching the peak about this time in '09, but fish are notoriously bad about keeping their appointments on human calendars...

5. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

I haven't noticed the slowdown. Was good yesterday, good this morning, and good 3 days ago. I've been out for 2-6 hours every day in the last week (hooray for not working until September).

6. Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Been around a while

Hopefully they are just waiting for some rain! Since we have not had a good hard rain yet since the pinks have starting coming back to PS.

7. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

If you check the Puget sound Creel reports it still looks like the majority of fish are still out along the straights.

8. Oldtoy

Oldtoy Member

I spoke with a fish biologist here in the office and he said the same thing, it is still early and the big push has yet to move in.

9. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Guess I will find out I have the next 5 days to fish before I am back to work for 4 days then 3 more days to fish.
    Only trouble is my shoulder is starting to feel pain from all the paddling this past couple weeks combined with building deck at home etc. Lucky my casting arm is doing ok.

10. knotabassturd

knotabassturd New Member

ibn- from shore at the crowded places it has been pretty darn tough over the weekend other than early on. Doesn't feel so bad being at work with the weekend stinking it up at Dash Pt.

If you want a challenge do something stupid and wade the lobster shop Dash Pt area in the afternoon to see what I mean :) Just the constant "PLOOOSH" in the water from the buzz bombs makes me jumpy. Can't imagine what that is like to the fish under the surface.

11. JayB

JayB Active Member

Good to see/hear some reassuring info since my own catch to effort ratio was getting progressively worse from midweek onwards last week, and I didn't see too many folks in the vicinity doing dramatically better than I was.

Here's to hoping the fish heading for the Green put the pedal to the metal - since the later they arrive the less likely they are to ever make it past the East Channel.

12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

What you've seen so far is the beginning, not the end. They are't even in the rivers yet, in any numbers and 7 million plus are not going to spawn in the Sound. Patience, Weedhopper.

13. Bestbuilder

Bestbuilder Member

Fished on the west side of Whidbey today north of bush point- out of the three of us only two short hook-ups and nothing else from 6:00 am to 3:00 pm. Fished both the high and low tide, worked my butt off and nothing to show for it.

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Suppose the lull came at the perfect time for me as I'll be in Dallas and new Orleans til saturday for work. But 7 trips since last week and no skunked trips is not a bad start to the season I recon.

15. fishues

fishues fishin fool

Saw some tribal nets out just north of Dash Pt. this AM. Don't recall that being a factor in 09- at least in MA11. Anyone recall nets out in this area in 09?

16. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Fish are definitely in the Puyallup and was surprised to see many jumping and dimpling along levee road. The reports are coming in from the gear chucking crew.

17. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

forget the fishing, that's something to be jealous of. :)

18. I'd imagine the idea already crossed your mind...but while you're down in the dirty south, see if you can't find some redfish on the flats. I lived down there for far too long and while I'm not sure I miss it, I know I miss casting to tailing reds.

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I would love to, but the guides have been booked up for months since it is the international fly tackle dealers trade show that's happening down there.

20. Yesterday morning I went 3/3 at dawn at DP. I copied Evan's fly and had a fish on w/in 4 casts. Only saw one buzz bomber get a fish. I was flying the fly fishing flag by my lonesome for an hour or so until a couple more joined me. Viva la fly. fly > buzz bombs (though it should be said that everyone was behaving well)