August Pink Reports

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jwg, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

2. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Hey Evan, what material was you tungsten cone head fly made with? I saw where you posted the picture but wasn't sure if you ever game the materials. I tied some flies up last night that were as close as I could figure. Having mainly trout-fly materials I was limited to bucktail and marabou for pink materials. So I tied some with pink marabou (sparse tail and marabou wrapped up the body), thin wire counter wrap for durability, and a standard cone head with some wraps of lead up in the cone (no tungsten on hand). Tied those and some pink/white clousers (very sparse). Guess I need a trip to the shop for more pink stuff :)

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Eh, don't overthink it. Materials don't matter. One day, I was catching fish on a tattered fly that had nothing left but some threads hanging off, and a pink cone head.

4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Sure, I was just thinking I haven't seen too many salt flies with maribou and wasn't sure if it maybe wasn't as durable or something. However, I have some buggers that have held up to many many trout so... Well anyways, I guess I now have some sparse pink flies so we'll see what happens.

5. 8/26 Dash Point Report

Fished from 5:30 to 8:00, outgoing tide.

The usual chaos on the pier, but a lot less gear guys wading (only about 10).

Saw about 20 fish hooked on gear.

I was 1 for 2

Seemed like a normal mid-run type of morning. I don't think we are at the end yet.

Steve - Good to see you. I was glad to read that you hooked a few.

6. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

I think Terry's reminiscing about [deleted] in the blackberry thickets along the Duwamish's [deleted] shore with five [deleted] gear chuckers all named [deleted]

7. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

Hooked around 15 today. Still not that easy to find... My son had one stolen 2 feet away from the boat by Mr seal. He also used the head of a pink to catch a dog fish on a fly rod. It was kind of entertaining to watch the dog fish come up and grab the head

8. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I agree that today felt like a mid-run day. The fish seem to be on every-other-day. You do have to put in your time in order to get them. There were two other flyfishers nearby and they hooked up a few but they were using 6 wt. rods and no baskets. That's a tough catch this year. I've used my 6 wt. but was literally worn out by the time I was able to land the fish. That may be because I'm getting old but I don't think so.

9. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Thanks a bunch for showin me the ropes this morning Evan! Had a great time. Evan got me into my first first pink ever on a fly rod, although I was not able to land it I did get to fight it for a while. You most certainly did not fail as a guide!

I'm itchin to chase some more now.

10. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Was out for a slow morning at PNP. Josh (Mtnwalker) had a nice one on for about 30 seconds. I had 3 shakers (4"-10"). Saw Banzai up there throwing the two-hander. Didn't look like there were many fish caught by anybody today.

11. Tyler Nielsen

Tyler Nielsen New Member

I caught my first Pink on a fly today! I think I owe someone from this forum a thanks. You posted a picture of a bullet head fly pattern that my friend showed me. I hooked three and got them up to my paddle board but thats when it got interesting, I think a nets in order.

Thanks again

12. From a boat or a <cough> paddle board, yes, a net is in order.

Seriously though, good job. Hooking pinks from a paddle board...I bet they dragged you around a bit.

13. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Finally got out in a boat today. Things were hot this morning, and then they got hard to find. We got a few for the smoker though, and it was a gorgeous day to be out on the sound. It just reminds me of how much I love being on the salt water in a boat in the Sound.

We swung by Brown's PT, and there must have been a big school going through as there were at least five fish and any given moment being landed. We saw schools out in the middle and tried to chase them down, but could never find them once they saw the boat.

Good times!

View attachment 43766

14. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

WTF? I'm a bit confused by this...

15. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

I think what he's trying to say here is that if he is willing to fish a pink dick nite. I could be wrong though.

16. jwg

jwg Active Member

Drove over to Dash Point state park from the east side on Wednesday, stayed til Friday afternoon.

Thursday morning from the state park beach, things were dead (low tide to rising tide). did not see a single pink jump or surface. Several beach fisherpersons and a few boats were present, one boat caught 2 on gear, another boat caught one on a fly. Thursday afternoon I had a nice kayak up the coast.

Friday morning, fish were around at last (falling tide, low tide to rising tide). A single boat was present off the state park beach, it landed 6 fish from 8 to 8:45. A few beach anglers picked off an occasional fish. I caught one at 9:15 myself, which I photographed(see below), bled, gutted, packed with ice, and drove it home in the afternoon. This fish was delicious filleted with a ginger, horseradish, sake, bread crumb spread on it and broiled.

meanwhile, back at the beach, about 10 am loud whooping was heard from the dash point pier. someone later confirmed to me that they arrived at the pier at 10 am and it was hot.

It slowed down at the beach until about 11 when some more fish came through in the strong tidal current (rising tide). I realized I was casting behind them, so I moved southwest quickly to get in front, caught one, released it, hooked up on the next cast, LDR.

Gear: 7 wt, clear intermediate Airflo 40+ integrated shooting head. First fish on tungsten cone head fly dressed with the usual things, white arctic fox tail, krystal flash, and pink in maribou. Later fishes on a smaller copper bead head fly with pink marabou similar to Steve Savilles postings. The latter was way easier to cast, my tungsten cone may have been too heavy at a 1/4 inch size.

From two days of observations, i must say the gear guys in boats were outfishing the fly anglers by a considerable margin most of the time, and some of these folks clearly knew what they were doing and fished very purposefully. And it was not just a matter of being deeper, since one boat I saw on Thursday afternoon hooked up by moving closer to the shore and casting practically to the beach - into shallow water near shore, in other words. There could be a lesson here about fishing near the bottom and prospecting widely when fish are not showing at the surface. Only when the fish were coming in visible at the surface were the beach fly anglers doing as well or better.

In the photo below, the fish ruler is made from two folding 12 inch plastic rulers from Fred Meyer connected zero to zero with a split ring. This think crumples into a pocket, and only cost a few bucks for parts. Buck salmon has the start of a hump.

View attachment 43767

17. SciGuy

SciGuy Active Member

Wow did things ever die down in MA9-West. After hot dawn bites on Wednesday and Thursday it was dead. I saw one pink landed by a fly fisherman and SDR'd by a gear fishermen...and that was the only action. Oh, aand I met what must be the epitome of scum bag beach trolls: I walked up to the beach while it was still dark and noticed a 300 lb 5'8" mole of a human making 40 casts while squeezed into his lawn chair. He quickly spluttered out "if you hook me with that fu©king fly I'm gonna come over der en break yet pole" (please note that he said "pole" and not "rod"). To which I replied after a loud chuckle "Good morning, Sir. Thank you for coming out." Needless to say, I'm pretty sure we won't be BFF's. You meet all sorts on odd numbered years....

18. bouncin bob

bouncin bob New Member

August Pink Reports -LP 8/26 Orcas!

View attachment 43768 View attachment 43769

Lincoln Park - Friday 8/26 - Fished on outgoing tide 6:00 to 11:00 AM. About 25 buzz bombers and 1 fly fisherman were on the beach at 6:00 with 4 fish already bleeding. There were about 6 boats trolling the point. Action on the beach was sporadic through the morning. I only saw two fish netted by the boaters. One kayaker had a bent rod a couple times. The fly guy standing on the paddleboard was entertaining to watch as he attempted to retrieve and not drop his paddle.

By 9:00 there were over 125 fishing on the beach when a pod of Orcas surfaced about 150 yards out, actually inside some of the trollers. Great sight! I ran up the beach to get my camera but only got theses two shots. The Orcas did not seem to affect the fishing, but their presence may explain the lack of seals.

A WDFW agent showed up around 9:45 and suddenly there were only 70 of us fishing. He gave out a lot of $80 tickets for failure to record the catch and several other citations. He said he had been at LP since 4:30AM watching. We thanked him for his work.

Action was typical for LP, sporadic schools of fish when 2-6 hookups would occur then 20-40 minutes of nothing. Early in the morning the fish seemed to be just out of casting range. Lots of bait was showing most of the morning, again out a little too far. We saw a few jumpers. Around 9:00-9:30 small schools started to come through in closer and action improved with most people hooking up. I left with my limit at 11:00.

About 8:00AM, I had not hooked up yet when an older gentleman stepped next to me with a 35 year old Penn 704 on a short pole (too old and small to be a “rod”) and landed a big buck on his first cast. He proceeded to limit in the next hour, but lost the 4th fish when it rolled down the beach and swam off, despite his dive into the water to corral it. He lost two more before having to get to his 11:45 AM wrist surgery that will keep him from fishing for 6 weeks. I hope the Coho’s run late for him.

19. Randy Lindahl

Randy Lindahl Member

@ SciGuy...Indeed you meet them all. Although I have had some interesting encounters myself, I applaud you for keeping your cool as I might not have been able to give a great response as you did. I savor my time on the Puget Sound shores and limit myself to those areas where lawn chair fishing will not work. I do however sneak in for a couple hours now and then. Again...Great response!

20. stevebomber

stevebomber New Member

Thanks for the great reports bouncing bob, jwq and all. I hit the Spokane St. Bridge, fished for 3 hours and got my limit. 2 guys next to me limited out as well. It was fantastic fishing, tons of action, lots of fish being taken. Good spirits, good cooperation.

Wierd thing though, how most people didn't put their fish on ice. How good does a pink that's been on the pavement under a bench for an hour taste?

Needless to say, the bridge was packed. Dude was there since 5 am, no fish until I arrived at 11am.

Right after I arrived, got two fish on the line that I lost due to bad terminal knots. Using a clinch knot now, did the trick!

Thanks for the info