August Pink Reports

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jwg, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Yea it's the part that's a mixture of
    the Smurf movie, unlanced boils, and greed
    all stirred with a spoon of stupidity.

All the things that I enjoy about fishing a
    shoreline seem to be eaten up by the crowds
    of treble hook nosed mugwumps.

DK
  2. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +297 / 0
    iagree

Roger
  3. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    fished a mid/north sound beach this morn.
    one buzz fisherman was there when i came down. lots of boats out. didnt see any fish landed. no nets dipping. nothing for me or the buzzer.
    did have a close encounter with a Coho, chasing bait right up to within 2 feet of me.
    needless to say i was caught off guard. casting like heck for the next 15 minutes which produced--zip.
    didnt help that i left my box of salty flies at home. had to use what steelhead flies i had in my vest.
    all in all a nice morning, fog, drizzle, clouds. no wind. better than mowing the lawn. :)
  4. Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +117 / 0
    Fished Picnic Pt. with a couple other fly casters and a few gear guys. Saw some surface activity a little farther offshore but little action close in. Got one bump from probably a smaller SRC but little else.
  5. Tom Johnston Been around a while

Lala land!
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    4 hooked and one taken home for bbq!
  6. Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Nice blog! Good work. Keep it up.
  7. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    Fished area 11 last night, hooked four and landed four.
  8. Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I new to salwater so please bear with me. What and where is Area 11? Is it an area accessable only by boat?
  9. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Areas are mapped out in the regulations book. Or you can see it online.
    Regulations are written to apply to specific "areas" just the way freshwater regs apply to specified rivers or lakes

area 11:
    TACOMA-VASHON ISLAND - south from a line projected true east west through the north tip of Vashon Island to the northernmost Tacoma Narrows Bridge.
  10. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Fished DP from 10:00-2:30. A few fish started to show at ~1:30. Hooked and landed one, somehow broke my rod in the process just as more fish started to show. I saw a fellow FFer in a powerboat nearby and asked if he had any duct tape to spare, he generously gave me the only tape he had that he was using to hold some wiring in place, and I combined that with lots of wrapped leader material, headed back to the fish - and had the repaired section crack in half on the first false cast.

Made my self feel better on the way home by buying a Z-axis on closeout from Outdoor Emporium. Literally don't think I've ever touched a top-shelf fly rod before, much less cast one so hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as other folks seem to. Figure at 38 I'm already halfway to the grave, I've been busting my ass working and scrimping by on 3rd and 4th tier fishing gear since I bought my first decent rod with paper-route money at 13 so why the hell not....
  11. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Fished Picnic Point yesterday 5-7pm. Nothing but three bullheads and a dungeness (on the fly, no kidding!)
  12. Blktailhunter Active Member

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Fished from 330-530 this afternoon from a local beach. 3 for 7. Had to leave them biting because of a family commitment. :(
  13. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    At least give us the marine area you were fishing in, or else your report is of little use to anyone.
  14. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    Took the whaler to the south sound, launched at Rodando (SP?) Boated around a dozen.
  15. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Fished from a boat near browns point yesterday morning. Between my dad and I, we had 5 in the boat within 20 minutes...then it took 3 hours to catch 3 more fish to get us to our limits.

Now they're all sitting in brine and heading to the smoker! Love pink season!
  16. vanvgj1 Yak fisher

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Got out of my boat and waded at Picnic Point Sunday morning for a change, 0700-0830. Breezy, cool and overcast. Didn't see any real fish - there were about 5 of us including a couple spin guys. I guess catching a Dungeness tops my Flounder... but this is the second small Flounder I've caught on this pink fly - it's turning out to be a real Flounder killer! Ya think we're getting deep enough with our intermediate lines? :D
    View attachment 43351
  17. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    Put that intermediate away and use a floater
  18. Ron Crawford ===

Seattle, WA
    8/8 Dash Point Report:

Fished from 5:00AM - to 8:00AM. Tide was out

Dock was full. About 20 guys wading spread out along the beach 'cause the tide was out and there was lots of room.

I fished an area way down the beach.

5 gear guys standing right next to me landed at least a dozen fish between them.
    I hooked 6, landed 2, bonked 1
    Only saw 3 fish jump .... they don't seem to be jumping as much this year.
  19. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    I've been noticing the same thing. I've had people tell me that the early fish don't jump as much, but I remember seeing lots of jumpers in my first trips out at the end of July/beginning of Aug in 2009.
  20. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +714 / 2
    People might want to consider the higher than normal flows our rivers are still putting out. I've seen this in past years where the fish don't hang around or show themselves as much in high water years. Enjoy 'em while they're moving thru. 2 years ago we had very low water and the fish seemed to hang around the salt much longer. I wouldn't expect that this time around.