August Pink Reports

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by jwg, Aug 1, 2011.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

This would be proven out on the Skagit. I know this next statement will likely get me some critizism but bright fish were being caught in Lyman over the weekend. Seen a number of nice fish caught in Burlington. Big pinks, 7 to 8 pounders seemed normal size. Most would consider this early for large number of fish in the river but I seen a lot of humps caught this weekend.

2. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

Local guide caught 10 Pinks this morning in the Skagit. Said it was one of the slower mornings out of the last few days. I will be heading out with him sometime in the very near future.

3. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

I've been seeing pinks in the sky for 2 weeks.

4. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Anyone fishing GG or Lincoln Park?

Went to Dash Point on Sat, got a chuckle at all the buzz bombers on the pier, and crazy crowded beach. Looked for parking for about 20 minutes, then headed back to seattle. Put in my new yak at around 10, but no pink love off of Meadow Point. Spent a couple hours there, then decided to try out the jetty. Many a rockfish, but nothing else. More of the same on Sunday at GG.

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I don't think that GG is much of a beach to fish for pinks from. Don't think they tend to run through there too much.

6. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

I hooked one off a dock on Orcas Island this weekend. Lost it when I tried to lift it out of the water. It was maybe 5 poiunds.

7. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

First pink of the year and man, they are BIG this year. Need an eight weight for sure, took a while to land on my 6. Area 11 by Vashon is the ticket. Forcast said 4 mph wind but seemed like 15-20 mph, shook me up a little in my Lund.

Pinks should be in Full Swing havok in a week or so imo.

vacation next week so I'll be there for at least a couple more days..

Great day other than loosing my crab pot, got stuck and couldn't pull it out, not sure whats going on. Will be back tomorrow to try to yank it out again..

8. Tool Fly

Tool Fly Member

Took my Watermaster down to a beach south of Seattle this afternoon and put in below the firing line. Hooked a nice 5-6 pound fish within my first 10 casts on a Pink Turd (fun to say, fun to tie) and thought "game on!" so I let her swim. Needless to say, I ate a take-out hamburger... The beach crowd was slayin' 'em! Man, I don't know how the young guys can wade out to their navel with NO WADERS and pretend they are having a good time. But they were--lots of 'em. Talk about shrivel... Lost one other fish and will be back later this week to try the morning tide. As others have mentioned, no jumping whatsoever. If it weren't for the regular beaching of some nice sized fish, you'd never know they were there.

Oh, and also agree my 6# seemed too small for the job--fish had some real go the closer it came to the boat. Though I don't love casting my 8# XP, that's the one I'll be using to horse 'em in from here on.

9. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Area 11 on Saturday lots of jumping but I had only limited luck because I had the wrong line still having my Chinook line on. Buddy caught first salmon ever.
    Sunday few showing and right line lead to 2 for dinner and many lost. Lost many due to wave action and having to keep bow into the wind right when I was getting hits every 5 minutes. At one point even had to beach kayak and drain back out water. Would agree fish this year are a good size. Also noticed Sunday the fish were not close to beach and maybe only a third of the people out as there was on Saturday. Not sure if the waves or the race was the reason

10. 1fishkeeper

1fishkeeper New Member

Well I think that I might have to head out to Dash tomorrow. My only down draw is I will have to be a gear banger. I just had surgery on my shoulder and cant cast a lot(but I will have my fly rod with me and try it out left handed even though Im right). But it will be nice just to get out and go.

11. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Had my first truly awesome day of the season today. Hit up a new area 11 spot that I scouted out. Ian Broadie and I hit it via the SS Fudge Dragon after about a half hour of rowing. We quickly had several fish in the boat, including the largest pink I had ever seen, and the second largest Ian had ever seen in his 30ish years of catching them. The fish was pushing 10lbs for sure, but don't have any measurements on it. It's going to make some fine smoked fillets! I ended up with 7 landed, and 5 LDR, Ian landed two with his own handful of LDR's.

We had this area to ourselves, which was wonderful. We did have two fly guys walk in, and I had a bit of a word with one of them, and I'll repeat it here:

If you're going to catch and release your fish, DON'T PLAY THEM FOR 20 FUCKING MINUTES, DRAG THEM ON TO THE ROCKS, THEN SEND THEM BACK! That fish was DONE... And this guy "released" it. Whether that fish kicked off or not, I can almost guarantee it's seal food now. Don't play them out on your light trout rod, beach it, then try to release it for "sport."

13. jfogliani

jfogliani New Member

Fished PNP on the incoming tide today - a couple of takes on a popper but no good hook-ups. The gear guy n the beach hooked into one fish but lost it. Some surface activity but no landed fish. I think there were about 5 guys down there but no fish landed.

14. 8/9 Dash Point Report

Fished from 5:00 to 8:00 AM

Lot's of gear guys catching lots of fish (I lost count of them).

I was 3 for 4 - Fun !

Here's a nice photo. (I hope photo comes through ... I am not so good at attachments)

View attachment 43376

15. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Close behind Ron, we boated about a dozen and had some LDR. We wound up with 7 nice fish for the BBQ and smoker. Thought we'd move but never had to other than in a few yards when the tide started in. Mother Nature put an end to our fun when the wind came up pretty strong.

16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

In continuation of my previous post:

I've been using 6wt for pinks for the last few runs, and been doing just fine on those. I've been using my fast action 7wt the past few trips, and have really been feeling the limitations on it. The fish this year are bigger, stronger, and way, way hotter than previous runs. I've had many long runs, tail walks, cartwheels, and all sorts of other things happening that aren't typical of your average pink.

Here's my pinkzilla sitting next to another fish that is above average in size (but dwarfed by the girth of this beast)...
    View attachment 43401

17. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

iagree I cuaght one Sunday that was equaly the size of the larger fish in your pic. Today I actually had a hooked fish jump out of the water right into the boat, no need for a net!

18. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

+1
    I don't know about bigger maybe a tad but they seem to have been getting larger every run for the past 3 or 4 so why not this time too. But the fish I hooked today were unusually athletic fighters for pinks. Fighting them on a kickboat also takes away a lot of leverage but nonetheless they did take to the air a bit more than expected.

19. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

I drove to Browns Point a little while ago to see what all the fuss was about. You guys go out and fish these places with fly rods? I saw one guy hooked up with a fish in the 40 minutes I spent strolling around in awe of the pure stupidity of the whole thing. Of the 100 or so people there I probably saw about 15-20 dead fish either on stringers or being hauled up the the car. Is it crowded like that at 5AM? The early morning is about the only time I can make it out to fish. Not my scene. Boat shopping tomorrow!

None of the fish looked particularly large compared to ones I have seen pictures of on here- all in the 4-6 lb. range.

20. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Welcome to the beauty of the stinky pinky.

Where are the Fish and Game people?

It's like shooting fish in a barrel (catching pinks and
    law breakers).

50% are using treble hooks, no license, barbed hooks,
    and chubba bubba wives.

It is more like a novel by Sartre...

Dave