Autumn alpine dries

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Nelson, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +321 / 5
    Friday, Donna and I enjoyed a great day fishing the Yakima from State to Bristol -- several fish brought in on YakCaddis.

Saturday, we worked at home and suffered the dreary fog.

Today, we headed back into the sun, but chose to go high instead of going east. We headed up into the Clearwater Wilderness, hiking up to Summit Lake. There's a bit of snow lingering in the lake basin from that end-of-September storm, but the lake was clear and the autumn colors were outstanding. We quickly spotted trout moving along the shore of the crystal-clear lake, so we rigged up and started casting, frequently throwing dry flies while standing on banks of snow. Sophie (our Yellow Lab) was gracious in foregoing a swim while we started hooking and releasing brookies.

After a 3 hours Donna and I each had at least 15 fish to hand and probably that many missed on set or LDRed. Sophie closely watched each release to make sure we did it right. (see photo below). All in all, a great day in the sun, with a moderate hike, incredibly views and active fishing!

NOTE: The 3rd photo below looks like a mis-handled fish, but that brookie isn't laying on exposed rocks -- the lake is so clear, it looks that way, but it is actually about 12 inches below the surface of the lake.

Summit Lake_Oct-2013  001.jpg Summit Lake_Oct-2013  002.jpg Summit Lake_Oct-2013  003.jpg Summit Lake_Oct-2013  004.jpg Summit Lake_Oct-2013  005.jpg
  2. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +184 / 0
    Very nice Dan!
  3. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Beautiful. Love the colors of those brookies.
  4. Bruce Baker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    I can't believe how clear that water is!! Great colors on the brookies too. Thanks for sharing.
  5. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +277 / 0
    I went to an alpine lake this past week. Its so nice up in the hills during the seasonal changes. I love the mountain lakes and surroundings. The fishing is great and the weather is cooperating.
  6. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Beautiful colors on those brook trout. They mirror the fall colors all around the lake. Or vise versa?

I like the use of the orange vest for Sophie while in the autumn woods during hunting season. I think I'll follow suit with my chocolate lab.
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +404 / 0
    Wonderful pictures. Thanks so much for sharing.

That fourth picture looks like "What do we do now, boss?"
    That has to be a day to remember.
  8. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +782 / 0
    Thanks, those are beautiful shots.
    D
  9. dp ~El Pescador

.Renton, Wa
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    awesome pictures. the details (air bubbles, ripples, etc) are incredible
    what are you shooting with?
    Dan Nelson likes this.
  10. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA

Pentax WG2 for these shots.
  11. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA

A vest like that is good for any dog, but for yellow labs it is essential since far too many yellows have been mistaken for cougars (??!!) by careless hunters over the years. Even when I was bird hunting in the past, I would have my labs wear orange -- it's unfortunate that not all hunters clear their shooting field before firing and far too many shot at 'assumed targets' rather than 100-percent confirmed targets.
  12. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +368 / 0
    Well done, Dan and great pics!

Sheesh, I think the last time I was at Summit Lake was about 30 years ago!
  13. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Well, the fish have just gotten more numerous and bigger -- I saw one BIG brookie (had to be 20 inches) but he was staying low and I didn't feel like trying to huck a big woolly bugger at him.
  14. gldntrt40 Member

UFO over the city
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Brookies in the Fall, hard to beat!
  15. Golden Trout Active Member

North Central Washington
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    Contrary to popular belief, kissing brookies, is harmful to the fish.
  16. Ron Simpson New Member

bonney lake wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    How far of a hike is that lake from the road? Is it close to lonesome lake? Nice report
  17. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    It's only about 2.5 miles to the lake from the trailhead. Easy access. Drive toward the Carbon River Entrance of Mt Rainier NP. Just a couple hundred yards before hitting the park boundary, turn left. Cross the Carbon River and drive up to the road end (about 6 miles from the Carbon bridge).
    http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/summit-lake
  18. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +176 / 0
    Great photos. Beautiful bookies!

I'm headed back to fish the upper Yakima tomorrow - sunshine, warm and beautiful fall colors ...... And the fishing has been good.
    Dan Nelson likes this.
  19. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA

We had great success last Friday on the upper Yakima (state to Bristol) throwing big caddis drys (YakCaddis) and -- for a short window during early afternoon -- small BWOs. Yakima-Oct-18-2013  001.jpg