Autumn Teal

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Davy, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Davy

Davy Active Member

Heres something simple out one of my wallets that I haven't tyed in quite sometime.I decided to bring it back in a swap I am in.

I used to fish it on the Wenatchee, and ofcourse that is now closed.

I call it the Autumn Teal.

Rib, gold twist
    rear 2/3 Gold/tan floss
    front 1/3 dubbed gold,brown,orange Antron or seal mixed

Dyed gold teal over dubbing

Teal throat

BM wing

Davy

In the 2nd photo below, the lower two flys are down wings ( which actually is up on the hook shank )while the upper 4 are tents which you, (or I do anyway) actually bring down lower on the hook)

Attached Files:

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Ok Davy. Pattern reads good. But I may be missing it, did you post a pic? Would like to see one.

3. Davy

Davy Active Member

the site was screwin up--wouldn't take my upload-- here it comes

4. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Very nice . . .

5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Sweet...just sweet. And to think that a mere "heathen" could tie such a Godly looking fly...Miraculous!

Davy, every time I try tying those Bronze Mallard Wings I scrunch them up and ruin em. It takes a long while to get them right. Any tips?

Keep it clean! :rofl:

6. Davy

Davy Active Member

Well Bob, 1st , thanks and Jeremy too :thumb:

A heathen teal or tyer ??? :confused: :confused:

I have been to the edge ( and just over it once) of that supposed promised land and I didn't see anything special :rofl: :rofl:

Tips :ray1: :ray1: :ray1:

Hmmm, It seems simple ( and I know it's not) to me but heres what I do;

I cut my slips exactly even and matched for length- if anything I sometimes run my farside slip slighty longer to give a pointed effect- the side would not matter though

I line up my slips in my fingers just so the very inside base of the slips intertwine, it depends on how wide you want the wing sometimes you may want the bases to totally cross.

I lay them on top of the shank to ( I try to get my wings to be right at the back of the hook bend ( not always possible when working with limited BM)

line them up for length- now heres the key, most important part of the whole kapoodle;

Your ty-in point for your first wrap has got to be in the webby part of your slips so they will not scrunch and explose on you- preferably in that part of the grey webby area where it turns bronze--(again not always possible)

Holding the wing tight in my left hand fingers right at the ty-in point I take one soft loop up over the wing and down thru my left forefinger--with still no tension on the wing.

Decision time....

Depending on if you want the wing to slide down the side of the fly or stay on top mostly this is what I do;

On top :
    If I am leaving the wing as is for a nice tent I hold tight with the fleft fingers ans "slowly" tighten the loop, bring it up thru the near side thumb so I am pulling up with the thread- I usually roll my left wrist to cock the wing up slightly as I do this to tighten the wing down and then holding the wiong back down hard on top of the shank I take a 2nd and 3rd wrap (not tight though) these are just positioning wraps and then two or three more turns forward tightly, you can then finish the head or add cheeks or sides, whatever you want to do.You can even add backword wraps ( not recommended but possible) as long as they are not tight-tight and you hold the wing tight when you do it until it is all tight and secure.

For a full body tent I repeat just about everything above but after the first soft loop I slightly tighten the thread and with my right fingernail and thumbnail I work the base of the slips down around the hook shank, slowly and tightening the thread as I go till they are where I want them, you can move the bases around up, down over whatever,, before you take your final wraps.

anyway, thats how I do it, I am sure there are simpler ways-

Hope some of this is comprehendable and helps

It's really hard to write out, I just do it and seems simple

:ray1: If everything fails I just go to the other room and shake up a martini ( or 2) and start over :beer1:

Davy

7. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Davey,

Very, very nice dressing. I especially appreciated your last post about the wings.

REE

8. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

I love this pattern nice and subdued, great fly davy :thumb:

9. davpot

davpot davpot

Hi Davy: I love your color combo on the fly! Dyed Teal....sweet!
    Great fly as always.
    On the BM: I found that after miles of trial and error I just cut my slips with the stems attached and, making sure I have a smooth base area, do things much as you do. With the stems attached, I can manipulate the slips how I like and then....tighten her up. BM, great material, just be gentle! :eek:
    Thanks again for a great fly!

10. Davy

Davy Active Member

hey thanks :thumb:

LOL, well yeah, I didn't mention that but yes ofcourse.(the slips/stems things) always left on the stem

It's hard to write out stuff, perhaps if I had read a real tying book or sumthin the last 20 years I could better describe stuff, but I haven't,
    been that long since I taught.

I have that Benchside reference book coming from amazon , perhaps I can better learn to explain things from insights in this supposedly wonderful book, then again ..........

thanks

davy