Back at the Vice with the Seal Bugger

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Chef, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Chef

Chef New Member

Ok, I decided to get some semi seal dugging. I love that stuff.

I would have done a few things different... I would have either used wax on the thread to hold the dubbing or use a dubbling spinner. Maybe I put too much dubbing on.... I dont know. It was fun with the hackle. Tail looks better then last time. I put 4 stranfs of flash and used some copper tinsel.

View attachment 35398

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Nice. Now post a fish picture with the fly :)

Have you tried taking a strip of velcro to that dubbing once you have it wrapped on? Or try picking at it a little at a time with a bodkin. You'll have a nice fuzzy bugger in no time.

3. Whit

Whit 19D

Looking good chef... I would try what troutpocket says above... it looks like your dubbing might be a little thick just because the wire is really pinching it down... if you put less on, twist it tighter and just go over spots on the fly that you want thicker more times, you will end up with tighter dubbing which can be tweased out without much loosening the grip that the wire has on the body of the fly

4. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

This is a cool tutorial for another pattern that uses Arizona Simi Seal. I sat down and did 4 in about 20 minutes. I won't tie up any more until they have proven worthy but I'm all about simple patterns that work!

5. Chef

Chef New Member

trout: thanks for posting that. It was neat to watch. I think I will try to tie some of those.

6. dcslick

dcslick Member

I have tied hundreds of the az simi seal leaches. They work great in many diff situations. The material is cheap and extremely easy to tie. I highly recommend the fly and is one of my go to flies.

7. Chef

Chef New Member

dc: gotta pic?

8. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

I tie all my wooly buggers with seal-sub dubbing. You should get yourself a dubbing brush maker. I will make about 10 brushes at a time and then I can really crank the flies out fast, and they look nice and buggy.

9. dcslick

dcslick Member

10. t\great video. thank you

11. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Chef, take a look at the pics in the swap gallery from our recent swap and ask about the seal bugger there great looking bug.

Ira..