Back from my first out-of-state elk hunt

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Alex MacDonald, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    It's been a life-long dream to hunt elk in the wilds of "somewhere else", so I bought a guided hunt in Idaho after we sold my dad's membership in "the duck club". At first I thought it was just going to be a drive on the ATV to find some elk, and the guide would say "shoot that one", but that's not quite how it happened! I'm still sore from the little bit of hiking we did, through groves of quakies, up and down hills, threading our way through blowdown while navigating the frozen ground. We found elk, shadowy, elusive creatures who could somehow move silently and effortlessly over ground I had difficulty just putting one foot in front of the other, but in the end, the Remington 700 broke the silence, followed by twenty or so footfalls and a heavy crash in the aspens. Then silence. View attachment 44963
    Now I have almost 400lbs of prime elk meat in the freezer.
    View attachment 44964

But one thing I learned, is that (for me) bringing one down is not a time for orgasmic high fives, whooping and hollering; it's a time for sorrow at the ending of the life of a magnificent creature, and gratitude for his sacrifice. Above all, it's a time to honor this great beast, with respect and dignity.

2. Kelly Michelsen

Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Alex,
    Congrats, very nice bull, I hope to do an out of state hunt in the near future!!
    Flyfisher121

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

Heck of a bull
    Congrats.

Elk are very enjoyable to hunt and as you wrote magnificent creatures. That is why i am passionate controlling wolf numbers. Thanks for sharing

You hunting in Wy or Colorado?

4. FlyFshn'Fool

FlyFshn'Fool Member

Awesome job!

As a Whitetail fanatic, who has only been west two years.....if I could Elk hunt every year, I'd forget about Whitetail damn near! Congrats on achieving one of your dreams!

Also wanted to add how much I appreciate your last statement. While we enjoy our time in the woods and we are proud of our accomplishments, it is a sad time. This is were the hunting shows do not do the sport justice in my opinion. The shows try to spread this message but they do a poor job of it, if they do.

When I harvested my first archery deer (as I never rifle hunted), I shed a tear and I was 25! I was proud, but sad because as you said, I took a life. Upland birds, Waterfowl, Turkey, I do not feel this although I am greatful for the hunts and the harvest. I always get this way with big game and I thought something was wrong with me, until I started talking to others. They all said it is good to feel that way because you are showing care and respect for the animal and you are less likely to take a "wounding" shot, just to shot. While I'm not much of a religious person, I always kneel beside the animal, pet it, close my eyes and give thanks! That is just me!

Congrats again on a beautiful animal!

5. Jonathan Walkenberg

Jonathan Walkenberg Member

Heck of a bull! What area of the state were you in?

6. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Congratulations Alex!

7. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Dandy 6x6, Alex! Great shot placement, too. Well done.
    Spoken like a true outdoorsman. Congrats!

8. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Wow, nice bull Alex. Let me know when you need some help hanging that in the great room.

9. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    I'd say you are a spiritual person...in my book that's a good thing.

10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Alex, Congratulations, I can only imagine what a wonderful experience it was.

I've often considered hunting deer or elk, I just haven't acted on the desire. I hunt birds because of the chase and the good eats too. I'm concerned that a deer would be a lot of meat that our family might not like. Sure, you can have sausage made of most of it. I'd hesitate to do that to an elk, I've had elk meat and it's great.

It sounds like your experience with the outfitter was good, would you share their name with me? I'd like to check into it a bit more.

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Very nice sir. Congratulations. Glad your trip was all it was expected to be.

12. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    But one thing I learned, is that (for me) bringing one down is not a time for orgasmic high fives, whooping and hollering; it's a time for sorrow at the ending of the life of a magnificent creature, and gratitude for his sacrifice. Above all, it's a time to honor this great beast, with respect and dignity.[/QUOTE]

That is one of the best statements I've read on any forum.

Cograts on your bull, your experience and your mindset.

13. ganglyangler

ganglyangler Bird Dogs and Fly Rods

Media:
    Beautiful Bull! I know exactly what you mean about after the kill. It's a true sportsman who shows and feel respect for the process.

14. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Impressive. I have tremendous respect for elk, having lived and hunted in Montana for many years.

15. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Great story Alex and I'm very much like Roper-love the bird hunting but have never hunted big game (unless turkey counts!) As I approach retirement, I'm thinking I will have time to do a little big game hunting and elk would be first on my list as I love elk meat! Sounds like you had a great experience and I love your sentiment about the kill. Rick

16. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Beast of a bull, Alex :thumb::thumb:

17. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    That is a beautiful buck Alex. It sounds like the difficulty of the hunt made it an even better experience.

18. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    You'd feel less spiritual if you had to backpack your bull out.

19. Craig Pablo

Craig Pablo Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sounds like a great hunt Alex. The fact that you were able to harvest an incredible bull is certainly a bonus. I too share your beliefs and also, like Upton, think your statement was one of the best I've read on this board or any other for that matter.