Backcountry Cooking

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Trapper Badovinac, Jun 26, 2013.

1. I know many of your like to do outdoor cooking and I thought you might find this interesting.

I cooked in the backcountry for a 10-day trip earlier this month. It was a USFS and local college archeological field school. 13 people.

Loading the gear onto mules at the trailhead.
    [​IMG]

Then, pack it in to the camp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then set up the wall tent that became the kitchen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

When the rain started and the temperatures dropped, it was a very popular place for folks. The homemade soup was very popular.

I baked and cooked.

[​IMG]

Above, a 2-loaf recipe of sourdough bread in a 12" deep Dutchie.

Below, marinated grilled chicken.

[​IMG]

Below, chicken friend steak. I throw some minced garlic and chipotle into the batter.

[​IMG]

It was a very interesting 10 days. I learned a lot about archeology and everyone seemed to enjoy the breads, cookies, pies, and lasagna etc.

The range/oven I got last winter was a great addition to my backcountry kitchen.

Trapper

2. Very nice!
    Are you related to Jerry? :D

3. We both have some cast iron running through our blood . . .

Gary Knowels likes this.
  4. And we both have similar hairlines. ;)

5. That looks so good nice job

6. Oh, and we do have a lot of the same gear there too. LOL. Miss my old firepan. Had one like yours. What I used quite a bit whitewatering. Sold it off with a lot of my old whitewater gear. Wish I had kept it.

7. DAMN! - Now I'm going to have to find some good Chicken Fried Steak! Everything tastes better in the wilderness. Nice work :)

8. Trapper, thanks for sharing.

9. beautiful work, M. T.! I especially like the bread!

10. So far I haven't found anyone who doesn't like my fresh-out-of-the-Dutchie sourdough bread.

What's really a hit is when the huckleberries ripen and I send one of the wranglers out with a bucket and we have sourdough pancakes dotted with fresh huckleberries. If we have enough, I slow cook some and pour the sauce warm over the pancakes Along with some breakfast sausage and eggs it's a pretty great breakfast in the back country.

Trapper

KerryS likes this.
  11. My backyard is full of fresh, ripe huckleberries right now. Guess what I am having for breakfast? Awesome stuff Trapper.