Backpacking/Fishing Adventure

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sean Matthews, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

OK. Now you're talkin' my "neck of the woods" here.:thumb:
    Let me know if you'd like more info.:)

2. i have always wanted to go backpacking in the yukon or alaska during late august or early september, just be prepared for a little cold weather if you go, i had a friend who did something like that and caught fish til his arms ached

3. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

thats what I want to do, a long exploration of alaska

4. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

I recommend the same place as Nooksack - Sawtooth Mountains. I have not backpacked there but fished and hiked some. There is a lot of territory to cover there. High altitude. Stanley, a low point in the area, is 5 or 6 kilofeet in elevation. Lots of trails, some serious steep mountains.

View attachment 36853

5. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

the only thing u need to do to avoid traffic in the wilderness is avoid trais :p

just sayin...

6. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Two best wild ranges where you'll find great backcountry/alpine fishing, and very few people:

Winds of Wyoming.

Oregon's Wallowas.

7. DKMuk

DKMuk New Member

Is September to late for the Bob Marshall? We hiked in there a few years ago in July and it was too hot. We did catch fish though, but it was a long slog in.

8. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

You could always park at kelly creek in Idaho. Start walking east on the trailhead and fish you way to Montana. That trip will last as long as you want it to. Great water the whole way

9. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

It depends on high you want to go. Snow starts to fall sometimes in September.

10. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Google this: Rogue River Graves Creek to Foster Bar.

11. J Wood

J Wood Member

Or August! Most of the time September is a good month though for that area. Days still warm but not real hot like in July and cold nights. You can get early storms that come through though. Got snowed on during late August at around 6000 ft elevation one year.

12. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

As a kid we spent alot of summers in the mountains of Idaho, alot of the trips were outside of Mcall. I don't know exactly where, but I do remember the fishing was fantastic. One year we went down into Hell Canyon on the Snake River, there was alot of hiking but the fishing was second to none and the trout were huge. Another year we camped at a place called Hazard Lakes, I remember this because the meadows between each of the lakes had fantastic fishing for cutthroats and brookies. Another time we camped at a place called Bear, the stream there was awesome, but the biggest trout we caught came out of the irrigation ditch that ran through the campground. We hiked into various lakes which all had awesome fishing. It seemed to me all you had to do was find someplace with a decent stream or river and the fishing was pretty darn good. Maybe that's all different now, but back then it was really fun and we ate fish every night, which my parents loved because that meant that their food bill was pretty low. It's alway amazing how good pound cake is at 11:00 PM after a day of fishing. Many fond memories of those places and learning how to fly fish as a kid. If I had to choose a place to go back to for some good fishing - Idaho would be my first choice down here in the states.

13. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

My son and I went to the high Sierras for a week the second week of Sept in 2007. This had been my dream trip since I worked in the park when I was in college. I had worked at Merced Lake back then for the Yosemite Park and Curry Co. We went in and out by horse back for 14 miles. I don't know how far this time but it was 6 hours steady riding and no stops. We went over Mono pass [12,000ft] and they dropped us and our gear at a lake we picked out. We were able to fish any of the lakes and streams we could walk to and there were Brookies in the lower lakes and Goldens in the higher ones. The Packer came back at the end and loaded us up and took us out. I figured out that it was 50 years since my first ride out, And at 70 years old I was doing quite well adjusting to the altitude and hiking from lake to lake, But we were unable to reach the higher lakes where the Goldens were because of the wind that came up the last part of the trip. The High Sierra is a wonderfull spot to go also.

14. Mike Danahy

Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

big creek in the frank

15. Builder

Builder Member

I have hunted and fished The Bob Marshall for much of the past 30 years and September is the best time to be in there. It's big country and best accessed on horses and with rafts or tubes if you are hitting the SF or one of the big lakes. There are spots you can catch 20 inch cuts and have a 10lb bull follow it in, and do it for hours. There will be lots of hunters in the back country but few fishermen. An excellent option is to have an outfitter drop camp you in a prime spot for a base camp and come back and get you in a week. It's 27 miles in (one way) where I go and we do it in one killer day on horses. We then hike 0-5 miles per day to access new fishing everyday.
    I'll pm ya when I can and cut your learning curve down a little.

16. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Once took a trip to Linda Lake, and Lake O'Hara valley in the Yoho Nat. Park, off Canada Hiway 1. you needed to take a bus up to Lake OHara, the road isn't open to public. Then you had about 1000-1500 square miles of forest, meadow and lake. Trout in Linda Lake then were about 18-24". Lotsof other lakes around there.

Its been a few years, but its a place to look into going to

17. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

If you pick the Sierra, stay in the wilderness areas; September is rifle season, and I've had some difficulties there with morons confusing my orange tent with a four-pointer. This "four pointer" however, shot back. Wilderness areas, as you know, require you to go either on foot or hoof, eliminating the quad crowd. I'd take a serious look at Carson-Iceberg Wilderness, especially the Silver King Creek drainage. Incredible scenery, not many people, and used to have fantastic fishing for Paiute/cutthroat hybrids.