Backpacking gear

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by luckybalbowa, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    mumbles if u are a tele skier i am gonna shit my pants.... please... tell me your not a tele skier..:beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead::beathead:

and if you ever feel like upgrading your cookware i highly recomend a whisperlite international and a GSI soloist. its all ya need. Like you im not a ultralight guy (i dont mind the wieght, plus i always carry photogrpahy gear) but I do like to have compact/easy to use items. Saving pack space is more an issue for me then saving ounces. That way i can carry extra "fun" stuff with me. like a sketch pad, camera gear, climbing gear, etc. I need a bigger pack maybe, im currently using a gregory but its kinda small.

we need to do a WFF meet/backpack i think this summer. Im gonna organize it! Post suggestions on locations.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,540 / 9
    Although I admire tele skiers, I am a SPLITBOARDER. As much as I respect the free heel fans the skinning into remote locations appeals tremendously. Riding two planks out terrifies me. One board spit on the way up and in rocks. One board united floating effortlessly on the good stuff gets the rocks off. Besides, all the tele skiers I know are super fit that they would not associate with the likes of me...too many cheeseburgers.
  3. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I write a gear column on backpacking stuff for a magazine, sometimes the no-name stuff works just fine. I had a thermarest 4 season women's pad, but I stored it under the bed and the cat f'ed it up, so whatever. I have a lighter better pad with no markings on it now and it works great.
  4. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    You are correct, sir, and you win the prize. I'm not a geek, but I do have the schnizzle.

I think all you fools know that proper backcountry skiing involves a randonee setup.

End of discussion. Back to your hymnals.
  5. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    ok well i have successfully shit myself even more. splitboards are dope. im a big time snowboarder and i tele ski sometimes because its just a nice way to travel (skiing vs snowshoe) but its not nearly as fun as boarding down. I hope to get a split board someday, but the nice models seem to run around a grand + and my new burton was already more then i could handle at 350 on discounts.:beathead: mumbles man splitboarded rad....
  6. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,540 / 9
    Dustin, get a voile split kit and buzz one of your own in half. You can do that on limited finances. That is how I got my first splitter. Since then I've added a few more to the quiver. One is never enough.

Allison, no claim to backcountry skiiing prowess, so go on with your Randonee! All I'm looking for is a safe skin ascent, ten minutes to sit on my ass in the snow at the top and knee to neck deep fresh on the way down.
  7. Paul Norton Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    As previously mentioned... the ten essentials:
    http://tinyurl.com/d4o6kc

(Link to the PDF on the mountaineers web-site is rather long, thus the tinyurl)