Bad fly shop

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by triploidjunkie, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Saw this on another forum. Stealing the photos is bad enough, but the fake fishing reports that go with them are priceless. Douchebaggery at it's finest. Some of the photos were stolen from a professional photographer, who is going after Orvis. I can't wait to see how this plays out.
    http://www.drakemag.com/message-boards/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26408

2. I saw that. Some "weak ass shit" as the kids used to say. Do they not know how the internet works...

Wait did I just admit to lurking on the Drake?

Damn.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  3. I think it's terribly ironic that 3/4 of the guys blasting the use of photographs without giving credit have popular photographs as their avatars that they clearly did not take themselves....

4. Yeah, maybe but jacking a shot for an Avitar (of which I am not guilty) is not quite the same level on the ole Douchometer as stealing a shot and saying you caught the fish. Or doing so on behalf of a business.

5. Love me some Drake Magazine. Don't care about the Drake forums.

Different strokes for different folks. Happy their forum exists, not interested in reading it myself.

6. I agree with you on that...

fredaevans likes this.
  7. Some avatars are unique and not of piratable interest.

8. That's my dad in my avatar, smashing his cello at a 1979 concert at the London Philharmonic. OK, not really.

fly-by, troutpocket, weiliwen and 6 others like this.

9. I too love the mag.

10. I'll have benny with me at Occupy Skagit for those of you that would like to pay for a private photo shoot with this famous internet star.

11. Well, if I leave my car unlocked, and somebody steals out of it... I'm at fault for leaving it unlocked, but there's no justification for the theft. If you post pics on the interwebs, as Jack Handy would say, "... let'em go, because man... they're gone."

As far as avatars go, I think there's a big difference. One is for personal use, the other is to potentially profit from someone else's work.

enlightened, Davy and triploidjunkie like this.
  12. Might be your uncle though...?

13. Thanks. I always wondered what your avatar was all about, but was afraid to ask...

14. I believe there are copyright laws pertaining to "intellectual property" and while I no expert, photos may very well fall into that category. I know as a teacher, that I owned the stuff I came up with on my own but there are places where employers/administrations ask you to sign a waiver. I was asked to give over my rights to my thesis but refused. I went back and read it a few years ago and it was a piece of crap anyway. It certainly has no practical application today.:eek:

15. Ha! Kind of reminds me of that rec.fishing.flyfishing discussion group. These days, I suspect that place having degenerated into not much more than a host for irritated egos, spam bots, and trojan horse virus links. Unlike this cozy place.

16. People steal images from the Internet all the time. The Internet Police is not very good at following every image to make sure a proper byline is given by a poster on a forum or web site.

I ran across one retail flyfishing web site that was using a number of my cartoons on their site. As the laws in regards to copyright for items on The Internet are still hazy at best and difficult to enforce, there really isn't much that can be done.

At least they didn't remove my sig from the cartoons so it let it pass.

Some folks have approached me and asked if they could use my cartoons in their fly club newsletters and I've always said yes. Most likely I would have told the fly shop the same if they would have asked. It would have been nice if they asked.

It isn't as if someone can't track me down. My e-mail address is not the difficult to find.

As far as the Drake Forum goes ... we have a deal, those guys are not too keen on me and I'm not too keen on them. Works out well.

17. When I go to the Drake forums, I can't understand their accents. At least I assume that's it, because while I know they're speaking English, I really don't get much of what they're saying. It almost feels like Hunter S Thompson having a conversation...with himself.

18. <<<<-------My cousin's elementary buddy

19. Even Bob White?

20. A sleazy guide used one of my images once (as well as some from other guides ). I had an attorney send him a 'Cease and Desist' letter as it was illegal to use the photo without my permission. It took finally mailing the letter to the web host but the photo was taken down.

Here's my lay understanding of the law: a photo or other original work is copyrighted as soon as it is taken or created. You don't need to display the copyright symbol or officially register the copyright for it to be protected by copyright law because it is automatically protected as soon as you take the picture (or create the art, writing, music, etc). Since the internet, people somehow think it's a literal 'free- for- all' but the person who violates another's copyright is opening themselves up to a potentially expensive fine. Last I knew, it was up to $25,000 per copy/use depending on a bunch of legal criteria I won't go into as I'm not a lawyer, but have dealt with it through my job. Officially registering the copyright gives you the highest monetary recovery potential but as I said, it is still illegal to use someone else's photographs without their permission - and my attorney would say to get that in writing!