bad photographers, are you one?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by bhudda, May 11, 2005.

1. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    i have been fishin with some folks that have kinda screwed what could be money pics off because they are just not a good shot. im not bitching, i know that isnt the only reason we fish, but a good memory is alwalys captured in a great photo! ive caught fish by myself alot with poorly taken pics because your trying to release them in a timely fashion. all the while trying to squeeze that money pic in if you can. most recently i caught an 18+ in cut of a local beach only to take a pic of my hand instead of the fish, not even a good head shot:( i was pissed, but ill catch him again! i feel alot better knowing that chris, or ryan, pete , or ? etc are gonna take a good onetime shot . that = PEACE OF MIND! now i just gotta get those pics off their camaras:) any good stories of pics gone afoul' ?

bhudda

2. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ya, here is what happens when u don't clean the lense on your best creek trout of the year. This one was totally my fault and not to photographers.
    [​IMG]

3. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    well atleast i can see what SET your from ya gangbanger! watch out for whitey as i think he is a crip, always wearin' blue cuz! waddup!
    bhudda

4. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Rule of 3rds, get close, avoid eye level. Really freakin simple. I never take quality photos of fishing partners who don't reciprocate. Experiential education rules.

5. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    your killin me:) lmao

6. silver

silver south paw

Media:
    digital takes all the guess work out man. just peep into the viewing screen and if you see a fish snap it, if you see knuckle dont. :D

7. silver

silver south paw

Media:
    then again my girlfriend takes most of the pics for some reason :eek:

8. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    I just bought myself a digital camera and I'm totaly stoked! Hopefully I will have some "quality" photos to share when I get back from E.WA. next week! :cool:

9. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    Yeah, digital is the way to go, but you gotta be careful with water, more electronics etc. On the other hand, Pentax has a new water proof digital camera that sounds awesome. Most of my pics go afoul because after I'm out on the water I realize my camera is at home...

wb

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I usually leave my camera at home because I never seem to catch anything but lately I bring it along just to sit in one of my pouches and not get used. Go figure.

Jim

11. Andy

Andy Workin in a sweet mullet

Media:
    That Jeff guy takes shitty pictures of me every time... I am never fishing with him again!

12. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Media:
    I know what you're saying bhudda. I've been the default photographer in my circle of fishing buddies for almost twenty years. Consequently, I have thousands upon thousands of slides (more recently digital) with them in the scene, but few of myself.

I don't know of a camera that ever took a photo on its own. There's much more to it than simply being in focus and capturing the subject. Just look at the difference between the photo gallery here and the work of Andy Anderson, Brian O'Keefe and Val Atkinson. I've fished with both Andy and Brian, and they spend far more time doing photography than most flyfishers are willing to. I used to be more serious about the photography, capturing the moments, etc. I found it's difficult to do both well at the same time. Not many of us are willing to set down the rod long enough to get it right.

True photography is an art, the rest is just taking pictures.

13. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    bhudda, funny you should start this thread. It definitely takes time to learn how to photograph people with fish. There is a learning curve. Anyway, check out this picture an unnamed photographer took of me on a local lake last Saturday. Timing is key!

Attached Files:

14. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Too funny! Love the expression...

I don't get too caught up with having perfect pics - unless i'm trying to capture some guys first steelhead, my kids first fish, etc.

For the most part, a crappy pic that shows the fish is fine by me. I just want to have a reminder of the moment. Of course a good pic will help you remember the fish's color, the beautiful surroundings, the fish's approx size, etc.

But then I don't like to 'abuse' a fish just for pic. Last thing I want to remember when I look at a fish is how it flopped around in the bottom of my boat, or on some rocks, or how it was squeezed to death just before the 'perfect' shot was taken.... If I don't get it right within a few seconds, tough. Fish is let go. If I want another chance for a better pic, I have to cath him again and have my stuff ready to roll....

15. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Media:
    :rofl: Love the picture!

Nice hat too!

16. RedSpey

RedSpey Guest

I know exactly what you mean! I caught my first Tiger trout yesterday, and here is the pic that my dad took (none of which turned out well). As you can see, it is clearly a Tiger trout and I now have my proof that they are where they are supposed to be. :)

Actually I wanted the pic b/c the markings were a little different than the pics of Tigers that I've seen, but was clearly not any other type of trout I've ever seen, either. It was more spotted than striped, with large light black spots on a silver background. The dorsal area was striped, like brook trout. Hmm...wish I had a good picture of it. :beathead:

RedSpey

17. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Yeah, it's hard to see the colors through all that blood ...;)

18. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    Seriously, I think the key things are, from my completely amateur, untrained POV:

-Digital Camera. Big memory card/drive. Use the highest quality setting on the camera. You can always reduce the size of the picture later.

-Take as many pictures of the subject as possible in the time it takes to safely release a fish. As a matter of fact, you can shoot a bunch of pictures in the few seconds. You can delete the ones that suck.

-Get close to the subject. You almost can't get close enough. If your camera has zoom settings, experiment with them.

19. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Digital cameras offer their own challenges. They go through batteries fast. On a fall trip, my brother caught his first steelhead; my batteries were dead. He caught his second steelhead on the same trip; my dad forgot his camera. He caught his third steelhead on the trip, a hot, beautiful buck of about 10 lbs. By that time he had driven to a store and bought a little disposable; I had also changed batteries. We got plenty o' pics. I've tried the taking pictures of my own fish as well. With steelhead, you learn how to frame them on the beach, etc. w/ a little practice. The first two shots I took included my chest pack and fingers.

20. Rocket Red

Rocket Red Vegetarian Cannibal

I pretty much suck but every now and then I get it right. Truly most the time I am too far away from the subject. You HAVE to get close enough.

My dad really sucks though. I don't know how many times he has chopped my head off from what would be cool pictures. I got beautiful summer run one afternoon and had a great setup standing in a canyon pool in shorts holding a bright summer fish in one hand just over the water. My dad took 3 shots, 2 so blurry you can't see anything and one to chop off my head. When I reviewed the pictures back on the beach I nearly pushed him in.

Another time my Dad got an 18# monster winter fish, I was going to hold it for the camera and my uncle was going to take the shot. Well he turned my digi to movie mode and shot a 3 second clip of the thing. It's hard to put that on paper. :p