bad photographers, are you one?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by bhudda, May 11, 2005.

1. Some digitals I've used have such slow response that were about useless for fishing and capturing decent shots of my kids. I get plenty of shots of the back of their heads or the fish's tail as it takes off due to the slow response time... But the pics that do turn out look pretty good. Yes, battery life can be an issue too...

If the pic is going to be important - like a guys first steelie or something, I start getting ready while he's fighting the fish. Take a few shots of the battle to make sure the camera is working and experiment with angle and location to take advantage of the lighting situation and background choices...

2. All I know is I'm going to Baja in a couple weeks with none other than the worst photographer I know; our very own Sparse. Because of this, I'm practically guaranteed to catch a tippet class record roosterfish and have the photo turn out like crap, but hey, what can ya' do...

3. If Sparse ties into one, keep your camera ready to ensure you capture the exact moment he breaks your rod.

That Rebel XT gets delivered tomorrow. I'm a bit excited. It's been a while since I've had a nice camera to ruin on the river.

4. He's getting my cheap 12wt and it's got that great TFO warranty, so I'm not too worried. The whole scenario is totally hypothetical though, because we're talking about Sparse. He'll get distracted casting clousers to little croaker and corvina while big roosters are swimming right by him.

By the way, you and your XT both suck...

5. As I recall, he doesn't actually need to be tied into one to break it, so it's not hypothetical. Getting the photo would be "sweet, dude".

You and your 300 can toss my XT's salad, so at least you can say you've touched one.

6. I don't know. Every picture I've ever had taken made the fish look much much smaller than it actually was.

It is true that if you want good pictures, it helps to have someone along who's actually taking pictures, instead of fishing with a camera nearby (and I imagine it wouldn't hurt if it was O'Keefe). It's hard to get a really good hero shot if you're concerned about keeping the fish alive; what with worrying about someone holding the fish at the right angle, not too much hat shadow, wiping the stupid look off their face, etc, it can take a while to get it right, more time than most of us want to take. Close-ups of just the fish are easier and quicker; of course, then everybody has to take your word that it's yours.

7. If you talk to Brian he'll tell you that he's not that good at photography, he just goes to cool places.

8. With regard to what it takes to get good shots - I was talking to an outdoor show host this week, he was doing a story on catch and release, and off the record, said, "geez, I wonder how many fish we've killed on our show in order to get it to look right on camera. I figured if they swam away and didn't float to the top, they lived."

:hmmm:

I like photos that look like this:

[​IMG]

or hero shots like this, because you can see water's still rolling off the fish:

[​IMG]

Not that there aren't also ways to get awesome pics of fish - with you in them - where the fish is still in the water:

[​IMG]

9. digitals are awesome. when taking a picture of a fish keep them in the water until the pic is ready to be taken. the pellet brains on t.v. hold the fish up and begin jawing which lure and the talent it took it took to subdue the beast and how good of a cast it was and blah, blah. the rule is when the fish comes out of the water hold your breath and when you are out of breath put the fish back in the water.period. no exceptions! mike w

10. That's the Pentax Optio WP, a 5 megapixel ultra-compact that's totally water proof (submersible to 5' for 30 minutes at a time). I've had one for a month now and am quite pleased. Picture quality is good - similar to the other Pentax ultra-compacts (such as the Optio S5i), but not as good as, say, the Nikon Coolpix series. It's compactness and total water impermeability more than make up for the minor shortcoming in overall pic quality though, IMO. Lots of features (at least for an ultra-compact) and battery life is quite good (especially considering the battery is about the size of a Compact Fash card!); typically about 120-150 shots on a charge and spares are easy to carry. Uses SD media (non-proprietary and relativey cheap). Can get about 140 shots in medium compression mode on a 256Mb SD card. About $350 (Amazon, Ritz, etc.)

Here's an example (not necessarily exemplary) of a fish caught by a friend recently at Lone Lake: