Bagged my first eastern gray squirrel today

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by WA-Fly, Sep 14, 2013.

1. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I'm sure I could eat them if I had to, but for some reason they, like a number of other small critters (possum, rattlesnake, etc.) simply do not make it on my short list.

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Don't try mountain beaver, aplodontia.... Just trust me on this one.

3. Scott Salzer

Weekend report - MB (5): squirrels (eastern grays) (0) - great weekend hunting. Nice Cooper's' hawk through the yard today.

MB

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Is it legal to bait them with peanuts?

5. Scott Salzer

They are considered invasive, anything goes.

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Scott, whatcha popping those tree rats with...?

7. Scott Salzer

Got a nice little scoped pellet rifle, which needs to be sighted in.

8. Scott Salzer

Thought that this might be of interest.

Legal Status
    Because legal status, trapping restrictions, and other information about squirrels change, contact your WDFW Regional Office for updates.
    The Western gray squirrel is classified as a threatened species and cannot be hunted, trapped, or killed (WAC 232-12-007). The red squirrel, Douglas squirrel, and Northern flying squirrel are protected species and can be trapped or killed only in emergency situations when they are damaging crops or domestic animals (RCW 77.36.030). A special permit is required in such situations.
    The Eastern gray squirrel and Eastern fox squirrel are unclassified and may be trapped or killed year-round as long as you have a hunting license. In such cases, no special trapping permit is necessary for the use of live traps. However, a special trapping permit is required for the use of all traps other than live traps (RCW 77.15.192, 77.15.194; WAC 232-12-142).
    It is unlawful to release a squirrel anywhere within the state, other than on the property where it was legally trapped, without a permit to do so (RCW 77.15.250; WAC 232-12-271).​

9. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Bring it up I have a target stand just for that purpose.

10. Scott Salzer

11. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

Eastern Grays are all over, ever since when my neighbors used to feed them peanuts. As a gardener, I don't like having them around. The easiest solution is a Remington 541T, with a 6 power scope, and loaded with CB Caps. Thats a 22 short with 1/4 normal charge and a 38 gr bullet. Just makes a pop noise that doesn't disturb neighbors or attract the attention of the police. I've a score sheet I've kept for some years now. 55 kills on 59 shots. Only take the shot when its a down angle on them and either dirt or solid fencing backstop behind them

Scott Salzer likes this.
  12. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Momma Kay has a good recipe. Crockpots were made for squirrels!