Baitfish size vs. Fly size

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Lahar, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Lahar

Lahar New Member

I have seen posts from knowledgable people recommending matching fly size to baitfish size. My young boys wanted to fish today so I packed my spinning rod and buzz bombs (too hard to focus on fly fishing when a 5 and 6 year old are swinging hooks). I landed a coho with a 5 inch inch buzz bomb that regurgitated a 4+ inch anchovy (I think). This got me thinking, should I be acquiring flies that big? Even the larger clousers and Shock and Awe flies I have are not as big as the buzz bomb I was throwing today. Anybody try fishing flies as large (proportionally) as the long buzz bombs when larger coho are present?

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Match what is getting balled up and bashed by feeding fish. Your fly will merely be mistaken for prey and whamo. Tossing something of a different color might just be the ticket. When everyone else is fishing one thing with some but not outstanding success why not try somethign else? When all are slaying them on something consistent, get with the Joneses and get in on the action.