Baja fishing guide - Grant Hartman

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Provider, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Provider

Provider New Member

I am going to San Jose del Cabo in April and hope to do some fly fishing from the beach. I found a guy online that does guided beach trips named Grant Hartman of Baja-Anglers.com.

Do you have any experience with him or with a different guide that you would recommend?

Also, any advice is appreciated (where to go, what to use, special techniques, etc) as I have never fly fished any of the beaches over there.

2. Hem

Hem Member

I visited the La Paz area two summers ago.This was a belated honeymoon,but still took some fly rods and fished when I could.I used a guide for one day,which was a bust even though we saw some huge Roosters.One beach I fished I ran in to Grant Hartman by accident,...well we were the only two guys out there.Chatted with him for a bit, I could tell this guy was dialed in.After my trip I checked youtube and came across a bunch of videos he had filmed.I think he has the baja figured out pretty good.I am headed back to Baja this June, don't plan on hiring anybody, rather just explore on my own.Check out Hartman's videos,pretty awesome.

3. Spencer Woods

Spencer Woods Member

Insanely overpriced and slightly arrogant. Wouldn't use him again.

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I've known Grant for about 10 years and have fished with him and his guys many times. He's lived in Mexico for most of his adult life and has done the surf/fish bum thing all over both Baja and mainland Mexico. He's opinionated and a little brash at times, and I can certainly understand how he could come across as arrogant, but he's genuinely a nice guy and also knows the fishing in Mexico better than anyone else I've met.

If you do a beach trip with Grant, plan on some road time. As the bandwagon guides have been beating up the now well-known beaches on the East Cape, he's been going further and further away to get his clients onto fish that aren't so heavily pressured. You won't be ripping up and down the beach on ATV's trying to play Running Down The Man, but you will experience Baja beach fishing the way it was before it became overrun with self-declared guides and "filmmakers" from Colorado.

Grayone, Stonefish and flybill like this.
  5. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Hey, with a name like Hartman he can't be all bad!! ;)

6. plugboots

plugboots Member

I'd hire him again. He'll have the 10 wt set-up to throw, or bring your own, but it's pretty specific. I brought my own for non-guided days.

Grayone likes this.
  7. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

He gets it done.

8. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

I have fished out of Cabo with Grant's crew and have had three good trips. Yes, it is not low dollar but not high either. I fished for marlin, lost two to my errors. I fished inshore and had a grand adventure, biggest jack of my life. These guys put me over fish - that is what you ask guides to do.

It is a good trip, well staffed and with very good guides. If you want a sure thing, do this. If you are open to disappointment, go explore. Both are viable and interesting options, I would not trash either. Good things happen in both places, some in more places, but then you knew that.

Jerry

9. Gray Struznik

Gray Struznik New Member

I would get ahold of Josh at Pursuit Anglers he's a local guide that knows how to catch Roosters from the beach which is one of the hardest games out there with a fly rod... http://www.pursuitanglers.com