Baja looms

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by roh, Aug 31, 2009.

1. roh

roh Member

My long planned trip south is finally approaching, just over three weeks before I hit the road. I'll be spending the most time at Los Barrilles on the East Cape, and was wondering if anyone had campground comments. The two that seem most suitable for a fishing trip are el Cardonel and Martin Verdugo's. Anyone with any experience with either of them? El Cardonel offers free kayaks and that could be the deciding factor. Still tying flies like mad.

2. Might want to check how that category 4 hurricane will upset the balance on the land, air and most importantly on the water.

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    It should be long gone by then. I caught the outer edge of a hurricane there a few years ago and the resulting waves messed up the beach fishing for a few days, but then it settled out again. Because Baja is surrounded by deep water, it doesn't get a real storm surge or other lowland effects like you see around the Gulf of Mexico.

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    You should be fine. A bigger concern would be the infrastructure. This of course would depend on the severity of the storm and the damage caused.
    I went a few weeks after a hurricane hit. The water was fine for fishing but roads were still washed out and under repair, phone and power worked about half the time.
    Still had a great time and caught lots of fish.

5. Pez Gallo

Pez Gallo On the hunt for grandes

Media:
    Home Page:
    All hatches battened down here at East Cape...but the worst of the hurricane will miss us. Plenty of wind and some rain here right now. The eye is just southwest of Cabo San Lucas as I write this.

Regarding the campgrounds...I gotta say I'm not familiar with the campground at El Cardonal. Martin Verdugo's is right in Los Barriles with all amenities. The upside of that is you are walking distance to food,booze,atm machine, internet etc. That said, El Cardonal is way more laid back. Less people. You will be around 20 minutes drive or more from Los Barriles up there. One thing to consider if you want to beach fish...the beaches are a little different around El Cardonal and north. Smaller, rockier beaches. Not the classic sand beaches associated with the 'Cape. Just past El Cardonal the mountains meet the Sea and there are no beaches to speak of until you hit the Bay of the Dead. Free kayaks is damn cool though!

Enjoy

LP