Baja Report 10/7 - 10/12

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Fished with my friend Ramon on his panga "Cheers". Rather tough fishing conditions with big north winds and a lack of sardines. Fished mostly inshore due to the wind. Beach fishing was out of the question. The surf was the largest I've seen out of my past seven trips to Cabo. Got a good leg workout trying to keep balance in the boat while throwing shooting heads.

Ended up catching 12 species of fish during the trip. Only one peanut dorado and no YFT's this trip. The larger boats were getting tuna well off shore and fishing deep.

Had a sea lion swallow a 5lb skipjack right next to the boat. He came to the surface with the fish in his mouth. Flipped it in the air, opened his mouth and swallowed it. Fish, fly and leader in one gulp.

My last day I had a great time catching smaller Jack Crevelle on surface poppers. Multiple fish would chase the fly before getting one hooked up.

Flies I had good luck with were Clousers, Jiggies, Gummy Minnows, Pencil Poppers and Leland's Beach Popper.

Brian

2. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    sounds like a winner of a trip! Did you target marlin or sails? Gotta love those warm water fish with after-burner attitudes.

surf

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Surf,
    I didn't target any billfish this trip. The wind was a bear and I didn't feel like getting the crap beat out of me in the panga.
    What I really like to fish for down there are Tuna and Dorado. I usually go later in the year but had other commitments this year. No tuna and only one small dorado this trip due to the weather. Nothing huge but still lots of fun. I posted some of the fish picks in the members gallery.
    Brian