baker lake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by bwillroll, Jun 26, 2008.

1. bwillroll

bwillroll Member

Taking the family up there for a few days of car camping. Anyone been up there at all or know anything about fishing possibilities? I've heard that it's better to fish depression lake...which I can't seem to find in my gazeteer. How about Vogler lake which is on the way up to Baker? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    depression lake is at the upper dam. turn on the baker dam road (before horseshoe cove campground) when the road t's you go left to the upper dam and right to the lower dam (the real one). The upper dam is dirt and has a boat launch and parking area with one of the best views in the whole world. Depression lake is at the bottom of the dam and is formed by water seeping out of the dam. from depression lake it is pumped back up to baker lake. depression is stocked and holds some holdovers also. lots of food so the trout get fat. usually the only part worth fishing is the 1/2 of the lake closest to the dam. it's very deep with an excellent dropoff. water is very cold. fishing can be good or can be lousy. been skunked and had 20+ fish days. baker itself is a kokanee show with other fishing only practical at the stream mouths. great scenery but not so great fishing. a floating salmon hatchery
    they building last summer should be operational now but not sure how that will affect fishing.

3. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Media:
    Check out Baker hot springs. Last time I was there 3 hippie chicks walked up stripped down and jumped in. Of course I've been there other times where fat male hippies walked up stripped down and jumped in too. If you are interested in Vogler I would call Ben at Pacific Fly Fishers (425) 742-2402 use the code word "Elk Blood"

4. Bscman

Bscman New Member

Depression lake, as mentioned, is right near the campground...not far from the boat ramp on baker lake. If you're camping up there, you can't miss it. It's the only place worth fishing up there from the shore, IMHO.

Blue Lake, elbow lake, and a few others are nearby--requiring short hikes to get to. Unfortunately, snow will be a problem. The fishing is much easier, the scenery much prettier, and much less traffic.

If you cross the big dam over to the other side of the lake, there are some areas holding smaller fish near the dam...but no room to back-cast. My father took my sister and I up there several times when we were little--bobbers and worms.

If you continue up that road, you'll reach the trailhead for Watson lake (IIRC) and a few others...they get a lot of pressure late summer/fall, but the fishing can be good. VERY, VERY pretty area up there. I doubt you could even get your car all the way to the trailhead right now, though--snow!

Go back in August, in the middle of the week, and do some hike-in fishing. You'll love it up there.

5. bwillroll

bwillroll Member

Just got back from a shortened weekend camping up at Horseshoe cove on Baker Lake. Made it to Depression lake early this morning and kicked around in my float tube along the steeeeeeeep drop off. I saw a ton of fish through the gin clear water around twenty feet deep and many of them looked to be quite hefty. It was frustrating to see so many fish cruising along that drop off right underneath of me. I was on the lake by six thirty, but I think even that was to late. Those fish would disappear whenever my shadow passed over, so I'm guessing I was spooking more fish away then I wanted to believe at the time. No matter what I tried I could not entice a fish. We would have stayed longer, but the toilet covered in excrement, the raging party until two a.m. and the domestic fighting just after breakfast made it for a long night and day, so we cut the trip short, which was fine with me since that sort of camping isn't my style. Beautiful place though. Did get to witness about fifty sockeye being dumped in at the boat launch up at Baker resort in the later morning with my three year old. That was pretty exciting for him. That and the RC hydroplanes ripping up and down the shore line.

6. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    that is some drop off ain't it? Funny last summer that campground had two hosts taking up the best spaces. You'd think they would control the partying wouldn't you? This is what privitizing government services gets us. It's a little cheaper for the government, but the contractor takes a 30% profit off the top and we end up with crappy service. It's OK though because someone is making money off it.

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Re: Tony's first post. That's not a floating salmon hatchery. The mini hatchery complex down at the sockeye spawning beach - no public access, sorry - is going to be re-built, modernized, and enlarged next year. Sockeye will be the mainstay, altho some coho and other fish, including the trout to stock Depression Lake, will be raised there. That floating device near Upper Baker Dam is the FSC (floating surface collector) that captures downstream migrating salmon smolts that are trucked around both dams and transported to the lower Baker River. Adult fish enter the fish ladder at the Barrier Dam in Concrete for the upstream truck ride when they return in the summer or fall a couple years later.

Depression is the best fly fishing alternative around Baker Lake. The large reservoir supports a good kokanee (the sockeye that don't leave the lake as smolts) population, but fly fishing isn't generally considered a productive way to fish for them.

Other fly fishing opportunities in the area include Grandy Lake, Vogler Lake, Blue Lake, and the Watson and Anderson Lakes that are about 3 mile hikes into the alpine country.

Sg

8. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    The warden who was checking out the workers as they got off in the afternoon was the source of my info. she said when the structure was done it would be towed down to the dam........ your info makes more sense salmo. maybe they will stock depression more heavily or regularly.

9. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Bring bug spray, candles, etc! The one time I camped up there, in August I think, it was the buggiest place I've ever been in WA and was worse than most of the places I've had to deal with out in MT. We spent a lot of time in the tent to avoid them, in the water and I lite up a few cigars to fend them off, at least that what I told my friends son when he said "Uncle Bill, isn't smoking bad for you?"!

There was no perfect solution though.

Baker Lake is pretty big, but as others noted you can fish Depression and other stuff in the area.

10. bwillroll

bwillroll Member

The mosquitoes were out in force at night, but in my experience nothing matches the upper skagit in B.C. for mosquitoes.

11. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    you're right about the skagit. even in 20+ years in alaska i never saw skeeters as numerous and aggressive as those, and as constant.