Bamboo Exclusively?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Greg Armstrong, Oct 30, 2010.

1. hbbambooflyrods

hbbambooflyrods New Member

Home Page:
    Muchas gracias Kenneth por la invitacion al Classic fly rod forumm
    Saluda cordialmente HBAGES

2. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

I've had Dennis Stone (he's in Oregon) do some repairs for me and was pleased with his work.
    Just google "Dennis Stone bamboo" and you'll find his website and contact info'.
    Curious to know more about your bamboo rod. What have you got?

3. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Media:
    Hey Greg it says on the reel seat union hardware company Torrington. Conn. U.S.A. Its 8'6" long 3 piece has 2 tips has red guide wraps. Some of the varnish has peeled off some guides missing. It's a little ruff but looks like in the right hands it can become new again

4. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

It's nice to know who owned it, and his Dad before him way back in the '20's!
    So many of the rods we come across we know so little about, at least you know who fished that one. It's cool you've got some history on it.
    It sounds like it could be a nice rod in a good length. Get it fixed up and take it fishing again, I'm sure the prior owners would most likely want it that way.

5. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

Media:
    Heck ya i can't wait I've waited to long.

6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    As a sidebar to this thread, I joined some friends to fish a tree farm lake that opened this past Saturday. My arsenal for the day included three vintage cane rods of 50-, 40- and 30-years old, respectively. They couldn't have been more different from each other, yet each was an absolute blast to fish for cutts and brookies from about 9" to 15" long. I'm still grinning!

K

bitterroot likes this.
  7. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    I was up on the farm with Kent that day and had the pleasure of "getting to know" one of his vintage bamboo rods, a nice 8' taper from Orvis, the "99". I really liked the action of this 6 wt. rod. After landing my share of the Bows, Brooks and Cutts I have this taper on the short list for rods to make a copy of. The more rods you cast, the more rods you find that you like. It's a steep and slippery slope.

Mike