bamboo fly rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by fixj, Sep 11, 2011.

1. fixj Member

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    were bamboo fly rods once made without a cork or wood handle? I have recollection of my Dad's fly rod that had just a reel seat and the bamboo rod. it would have been just after WWII.
  2. fixj Member

Bellevue, WA
    the more I thought about this the more it bugged me, so this weekend I had my 91 year old mother look for it...it is still there!!....will try to post a picture if anyone is interested...it is just over 6 ft, one piece....at the butt end there was once a reel seat....(about 2 " of the butt is unfinished ....)

there is no indication that there was ever a cork or wood grip on the rod.....
  3. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    Would like to see pictures if possible

Thanks
    TC
  4. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    Is the bamboo rod a real heavy rod? Sounds kinda like a boat rod instead of a fly rod?? Post some pics please....
  5. fixj Member

Bellevue, WA
    it's in Minnesota ,and my Mom is 91, so I will have someone take/send a picture asap.

not sure what a boat rod is.

this 'search' also 'produced' my Dad's 60 yr old bamboo fly rod/reel.
  6. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    The best way I can describe a bamboo "boat rod" is they are short and stout, all wood handles- they look like something used for big fish in the salt water. Fish like dorado, marlin ect. You can find them on ebay. Hope that helps....
  7. fixj Member

Bellevue, WA
    that seems to describe it.....just over 6 feet , one piece, slightly more diameter...both my parents and grandparents lived in costal Florida and my grandfather loved to fish ....that could be the origin.....still can't figure out how they used it.....
    will try to get pics asap....
    thanks for the help....
  8. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 3
    I think the old bamboo trolling rods were attached to 3-foot wooden handles made on lathes. On your rod, it could be that the glue failed & the blank came loose from the handle, or maybe the blank was intended to be detachable from the handle.

Up until the advent of fiberglass rods in the 1950's, bamboo and steel were the only materials available. I've read that it was common to put guides on two sides of trolling rods, so you could reverse the action and offset the inevitable "sets" that would occur. I like bamboo fly rods, but can appreciate that fiberglass rods opened up a lot of new possibilities for light tackle fishing.

I'd like to see a picture!

Tom