Bamboo guys...What do you think?

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Jeff Hale, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,228 / 0
    iagree Well put Cliff.

K
  2. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Back to the Elkhorns. I actually bought one at the Bellevue show last year, I think. Paid $350 or so for rod and reel. Make sure you cast the rod and buy the one you cast. Not all are created equal.

Fished it several times and just sold it for a couple hundred so I can pay off a John Channer 7'6" 4 wgt boo rod.

REE
  3. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Granger used the same blank in various lengths for each of their different models. Thus the 8642 blank was the very same spec whether it was for a Victory, a Special or an Aristocrat. The differeneces between models were the cosmetics.

The rod you're looking at is an 8642 blank, meaning it's 8'6" long and weighs 4.2 ounces with ferrules but WITHOUT the grip, reel seat, guides, tiptop, wraps and varnish. If you thought the 9' Granger (a 9050 blank) was heavy, this one will be nearly as much so.

Was me, I'd hold out for a shorter - and lighter - rod.

K
  5. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Double post.

K
  6. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Awesome. I learned something new. Thanks for the enlightenment on what the rod blank numbers mean. Last night I read a story by Sparse he wrote about Hiram Leonard. I was amazed at the genius this man was. He did far more than just build fly rods. I didn't realize he was a professional hunter, gunsmith, and machine shop supervisor at age 16. In the hunting portion of the story, they say for 7 miles he carried out a quarter of a moose that weighed well over 100 pounds all by himself. Quite a stud. Funny thing was, he hunted to sell venison and other wild game to markets, but he was actually a vegetarian. Jeff
  7. Alex Rodriguez New Member

Shoreline, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Saw the SweetGrass Bamboo show on Verses a few day's ago, Any one ever tried one of their robs? Thinking of getting one but would like to hear a few reviews first. Real interesting show, sounds like they know what their doing.
  8. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    A few guys on Clark's have seen and tested prototypes of the Boo Boys' new rods and they've gotten glowing reviews. If you're thinking of ordering one, I'd do it soon before the waiting list gets too long. You can always bail before they get to your rod, but in another year, I wouldn't be surprised if the wait time is over a year. Some of the better makers right now have lead times approaching 5 years.

K
  9. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    I think you can rest assured that the SweetGrass rods are excellent. The real question is, are they right for you.
    The wait time is now 8-12 months. Pretty typical. Their goal is to get it down to 6 months when their new shop is fully functional. Right now they have a lot on their plates and must divide their time as best they can without letting anything critical fall through the cracks.

http://www.sweetgrassrods.com

TC