bamboo rod question

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Josh Benjamin, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    looking for some info. when i returned home to new york over xmas, my grandmother asked me to go through my gramps' fishing rods and decide what we wanted to donate to the local fish and game club for the kids fishing program. we decided thats what he would want, he was a big part of the program after i grew up.(he passed away 4 years ago) while going through the rods i found 3(i think) bamboo fly rods. i kept 2, and gave one to my brother. the one has been restored and it has a label on it that says "cloverleaf special by heddon". doesn't say anything more than that. i didn't measure to see how long it is, but its a 3 piece with 2 different tips. my questions are 1) is there supposed to be 2 tips of different lengths or did 1 get broken then repaired, and 2) is there a way to tell what weight line the rod is designed for aside from just picking one and casting to see how it works??
    these may sound like dumb questions but i'm a total bamboo noobie. i don't really care what the rod is worth, it will never leave my posession but if it is something that might be worth some money, i wouldn't mind knowing. i know the restoration probably decreased it's value but she's a beauty and i'd really love to fish it.
    :beer2:
  2. frankrutledge Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I don't know the answers to you questions, but I have a statement and a question.
    First the statement. sometimes I have seen new bamboo rods for sale that come with two tip, I think this is in case you break one, so I'm not sure if it's been broken before or if it came that way. And that would mean that the value is not diminished. Having said that let me say, I don't know "Jack" about bamboo rods!
    Also, I was wondering if you had a pic you where going to post of the rod it's self.
    Frank.
  3. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    yes, there is usually two sizes. Two different rod variations. They are often 5 or 6 wt. Try a 5 first and see how it lays out. Sounds Like a awesome rod if you ask me.
  4. frankrutledge Guest

Ahhhhh 5 or 6 wt. Interesting.
  5. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Frank...i will post a pic when i can, that may help me gather some more info.
    i was thinking, i guess that maybe the 2 different tips were 2 different actions? slower and faster action?
    one more thing i forgot to ask...it's got a bend in it and i remember some talk on here about that...is there a way to straighten it or do i not worry about it or???
    thanks a lot to all
  6. frankrutledge Guest

You need to talk tto Ken lufkin (sp) he is a wff member that seems to know quite a bit in this area.
    F.
    I don't know Jack, really.
  7. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    yes there is but let someone who has done it do it. steam.
  8. fishmagnet Bent rods and tight lines!

Monroe, Wa., USA.
    More than likely you have one tip that was broken and then repaired. There should be a length after the Heddon name and then some letters (i.e. HEH, or HDH ). The letters will determine your line weight. See if you can see the letters and then post and I will tell you what line it is for.
  9. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    fishmagnet...cool, i will do that. i am having it shipped here with some other things, so when i see it show up, i will try and see what more info i can provide.
    i am waiting to see if mr lufkin will chime in too.
    thanks again.
    BTW i will not attempt to repair the bend myself...no way no how...no worries. anybody around here that does that kind of stuff??
  10. fishmagnet Bent rods and tight lines!

Monroe, Wa., USA.
    I live in Monroe and would be willing to take a look at it for you and assess it. I have a couple of bamboo Heddons myself.
  11. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    I'm not familiar with a 'Cloverleaf Special' model, but Heddon was a popular, large-scale manufacturer of fishing equipment from before WWI to the 1960s who made hundreds of thousands of rods over the years. Here's a link for more information about them and approximate market values of their rods today: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/fishnbanjossliceoflifeincyberspacecopy/id19.html

Nearly all bamboo rods came with two identical tips. It was quite rare that a rod would come with slightly different tapered tips designed for different actions (the Orvis Pace Changer from the 1960s and 70s comes to mind.) Given the additional cost of producing two different tips and that Heddon was a low to middle-end maker, it's safe to assume the tips on your rod started out the same length and for the same line weight.

Since bamboo rods are solid wood instead of hollow and brittle plastic, they are much more durable than today's graphite 'soda straws', although they are susceptible to becoming warped ('taking a set'). Sets are easily fixed by a knowledgeable repair person but I would advise against trying to do so yourself. Someone here recently posted a thread about refinishing an older cane rod and ended up finding a skilled person to do it. I figure if they can refinish a cane rod they can probably fix a set as well. Try searching for 'bamboo' or 'refinishing' and look for a thread a month or so ago.

If one of the tips is short, it more than likely was broken. It is quite common for someone to simply cut off the broken tip and remount the tiptop on the shorter tip and keep on fishing. A tip that's short by and inch or two will not affect the action much.

Some older cane rods had their line weights written on a flat just up from the grip in ink or on the label on their tube. Older line weights were designed with a 3 letter coded instead of today's WF6 or DT5 scheme. Look for a set of letters like HDG or HCH. If the rod isn't marked, start out with a 5wt or 6wt line. Don't go with a heavier line unless the rod is longer than 8-1/2 feet or so. Trout rods from the 1930s through 1960s were mostly 7, 7-1-/2, or occasionally 8 feet long and mostly intended for a 6wt line.

Finally, when assembling or disassembling a cane rod, DON'T twist the sections when you're pushing them together or pulling them apart. Twisting can ruin the connection between the metal ferrule and the wooden shaft, resulting in an expensive repair. Instead, simply line up the guides and push the sections together with your hands held close together. When pulling them apart, you may want to use a piece of rubber inner tube in each hand or wear rubber gloves for extra grip.

Hope this helps,

K
  12. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    thanks to all again. this is the kind of info i wanted and exactly what i figured i would get from you guys...again...don't really care if it's worth anything, its just an important piece of my family's history to me.
    fishmagnet...like i said, once i get it here i will look you up and have you take a look at it.
  13. sashjo Member

Lakewood, WA.
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Do you really believe that most boo rods have 2 different size tips?
  14. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +239 / 1
    Josh

I would also be happy to look at the rod, help determine suitable line size/taper, and perhaps provide some advisement on history, current condition, and general care and feeding of bamboo rods. By looking, casting and measuring, the questions about the tips can easily be definitively answered. Without one or more of those process it is all guesswork.

The first important tip is, Do Not try to use steam to straighten the rod. You can undermine the finish and possibly destroy the glue that binds the six strips of bamboo together.

TC
  15. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Tim...thanks for the info...i'll look you up when i get it.
    are they fixing your car or did they total it?
    i heard there was a bit of concern over that possibility
  16. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +239 / 1
    Josh
    The car has been totaled. By a fortunate sequence of events I should have a new one, just like the old one in a week or two. A more typical scenario for that car is a wait of a month or two.

Just let me know when the rod comes in.

TC
  17. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Well...sorry it got totaled, but glad it will work out in the end.
  18. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rainbow
    yes, there is usually two sizes. Two different rod variations. They are often 5 or 6 wt. Try a 5 first and see how it lays out. Sounds Like a awesome rod if you ask me.

Do you really believe that most boo rods have 2 different size tips?

I see what you mean my mistake, not usually even rare. But I have seen them, and being heddon maybe. He can tell simply by holding the two tips together and comparing the eye placement.
  19. Pete Davis New Member

Lexington, VA.
    Rods such as the Orvis midge nymph use 2 different tips. A basic cane rid like the Robbins I just got often has two identical tips. He simply recommends alternating them with every use for the life of the rod