bamboo rod restoration

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Alex MacDonald, May 27, 2010.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

I have my father's old Montague Sunbeam bamboo rod, and would like to have it refurbished. Anybody know who offers this service? It has two tips, but one's broken off just below the end guide. It'd be nice to be able to fish with it, especially since it's the rod I caught my first fish on. I'd like to be able to pass it on to the kids and grandkids, etc!

2. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Alex-there are a couple guys in the fly club in Bellingham who build and repair bamboo rods-I will check and see if anyone is interested.

3. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Thanks, Rick, I'd appreciate it! I also meant to ask; do you have a place around Winthrop? If you hunt birds, a few of us are talking about a grouse camp someplace near Sun Mountain this fall.

4. Preston

Preston Active Member

You might try contacting Bill Vincent in Edmonds. His phone number is 206-979-3218. He's worked on several of my rods and I've been quite satisfied with the quality.

5. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Hi Alex-I have property on Big Twin Lake and we are starting construction in about a month on a cabin. By fall, with any luck, it might be at least partially inhabitable. I have a new setter and I would love to do a grouse hunt with you guys. Rick

6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Dwight Lyons in Oregon has restored a couple of F.E. Thomas rods for me. He's well known amongst the bamboo addicts for restoration work. Also Dennis Stone, also in Oregon, has received rave reviews from those who have had work done by him.

Just google their names along with the word "bamboo" and you'll find the info' you need.