Bamboo Rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by James St. Clair, Nov 28, 2006.

1. James St. Clair

James St. Clair stclairj

Media:
    I have an E.F. Payne bamboo rod that was just given to me and was wondering if anybody could help me price it out. I heard it was pretty valuable from the people I have talked too, but was looking for any other info. Its a #198, 7.5 ft. 3 pc. with an extra tip, and I think it weighs 4 and 1/8 oz (don't have it in front of me). Anyways, it is in pristine condition, I don't want to sell it, just would like to know if anyone has any info. Thanks in advance!

James

2. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Media:
    First,whatever you do, DO NOT try to refinish it or repair it. "Un-fixed" or unrestored, it is priceless.

Do a Google search on bamboo rods and you will find numerous sites devoted just to bamboo? A review of some of the rods listed for sale on them will give you a sense for what you have.

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    E.F. Payne rods are among the most sought-after by cane rod collectors. At 7-1/2 feet, yours is the ideal trout rod and probably the most valuable length. A far less desireable 8-1/2' Payne is currently being offered on another site at $2800 which should give you a pretty good idea of the value of yours, depending on its condition.

The best place to go for an estimate is Clark's Classic Fly Rod forum at http://p205.ezboard.com/fclarksclassicflyrodforumappraisalsidentificantionofbambooflyrods Like this site, posting there is free, but you'll have to register as a user before you can do so.

The more information you can include with your post, the more accurate the appraisal you'll get. Pictures are worth a thousand words, so consider including good, in-focus close ups, especially of the reel seat, any writing above the winding check, the tube label, and an overall shot of all the sections side by side.

Your post should address the following questions:

What's the rod configuration? Is it a 2-piece rod with two identical tips (a 2/2)? Or is it a 3-piece rod with a butt, a mid and one or two tips (a 3/1 or 3/2)?

What is the exact length of each of the sections? If it has two tips, are the tips the same length? If one is shorter, by how much? Are any of the sections warped (not arrow-straight)?

What exactly is written on any of the flats immediately above the winding check? Is there a serial number? If there's a number on each section, do they all match? The serial number will help Payne experts to date when it was made.

Is the rod missing anything like guides or tip tops?

Are there any obvious repairs to the rod (like a different colored guide or wraps, or gloppy varnish in some places)?

What's the condition of the varnish? Smooth and glossy all over or is it missing in places? If so, you might include a photo of the worst spots.

How do the sections fit together? Push (NEVER twist bamboo rod sections together or apart) them together with your hands as close as possible to the ferrules on each section. Do the ferrules seat all the way? Are they too tight? Too loose? When you lightly false cast the rod, do the ferrules feel tight or do they make a 'clicking' feel?

What's the condition of the cork and the reel seat?

Does the rod have an original tube and sock? If there's a label on the tube, exactly what is written/printed on it? If there's a model number or serial number, does it match the model number or serial numbers inked on the rod sections?

What's the provenance of the rod? Do you know where it came from? Do you have documentation like an original bill of sale?

I've probably missed something but this should be more than enough to get the Payne fans on Clark's salivating.

K

4. James St. Clair

James St. Clair stclairj

Media:
    Thanks Kent. I did what you said so I guess we'll see. I'll let you know what I hear. Talk to you soon.

James

5. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    I'll watch the replies right along with you :thumb:

K

6. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Same here...very interested to see what they say over there...

Keep a firm grip on that baby!!!!!

:cool:

7. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Hope Clark's provided the kind of feedback you were looking for. The idea of establishing an insurance value and getting it insured is a good one - not the kind of thing most graphite fly rod owners would normally think of.

I'd be happy to pass along some points about the care and feeding of cane rods that I collected from various rodmakers and restorers. PM me if you're interested.

K