Ban On Steelhead Fishing From Boats?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Bob Triggs, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    We should all take steps to reduce our impact on the fishery and also to give the fish a fighting chance. To say 'I am not going to help steelhead by reducing my impact because of treaty netting' is just short sighted. This is the sort of greed shown toward steelhead that has led us into this situation. All I can say is I hope the younger generations are more forward thinking in conservation than the older generations have been.

2. fifafu

fifafu Guest

Go ahead with the hollow rhetoric and namecalling but count me out on suggestions like banning fishing from the boat statewide.

So I'm ignorant but correct?

If the State made a statement that gill netting was the "primary reason" for the demise of native steelhead runs sportsmans groups would have a huge arrow in its quiver when they challenge the tribes. So don't say the State can't do anything. What has the State ever done?

I would be willing to let the tribes run the hatcherys if they just pulled the nets. My friend is a Cowlitz member and just drove down to pick up about 20 fish from the hatchery(coho this time). He goes about 2 times a year to get "his" fish. He tells me the food banks from Portland take the rest. No wonder the homeless flock to Portland.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    fifafu, the state could do plenty. They have enacted some regulations geared toward run improvement, closing sections, selective gear. What have you ever done? No one is asking you to voluntarily stop doing something, this is a discussion. No one is telling you what to do.

4. fifafu

fifafu Guest

What have I ever done? I fish by the rules and buy a license. I respect the river and the fish. I fish that's what I've done.

Can you say the same for a gillnet?

Hey mumbles you said "No one is asking you to voluntarily stop doing something" but this thread is about "banning steelheading from a boat" to save released wild fish. Try to keep up okay?

5. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Mumbles, I think its respectable that you are in fact setting an example and trying to avoid the "bitch fest". Most of us are too stubborn to settle down and "flex the brain".

6. Trent

Trent Ugly member

iagree I'll leave my usual response to old timers telling stories about the good ol' days because it'll just add more shit to this steaming pile waiting to get flushed.

Back to the OPs suggestion. I'm going to have to disagree with that idea. I don't really use boats when fishing from rivers. I do have one, but I'm just to damn lazy to hook it up to the truck, luanch it and load it back onto the trailer and then unhook at the end of the day. I don't think that a total ban on all rivers is really that reasonable, it is sorta like a one shoe fits all thing in my opinion. I can see where on some rivers, or sections of certain rivers it could be wise and benificial, but not a total ban on all rivers. I think in actuallity it might cause more dammage do to more people trying to get shore access.

As far as the banning wading thing...ha fat chance. That law would get me arrested because the first time some lawman told me to get out of the river, or tried to fine me would result in me telling them where they could stick that nice shiny badge of theirs.

That's my turd freely contributed to this pile.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    fifafu, the OP posted a subject about "banning steelheading from a boat". He did not post that banning steelheading from a boat has been passed, enacted, or even under discussion at the regulatory level necessary that such a ban would require. Please do try to keep up.;) Furthermore, the OP did not ask if you fish by the rules. He did not ask if you buy a license. He did not ask you if you respected the river, or the fish for that matter. He also did not start a thread on gillnets. You injected each and every one of those yourself and as such you've not provided any thought for or against the subject of "banning steelheading from a boat". What you've offered is your emotional and philosophical objections to gillnetting. Start a thread about gillnetting and some will come there (I for one) and say that we think that gillnetting is bad, so bad that we can't fathom how anyone would consider it acceptable. Until you get that thread rolling, I'm inclined to disgard your "damn the gillnetting" injects and seek out the response of those that think "banning steelheading from a boat" is a good/bad idea beacuse of {fill in the blanks with their views...not rants about gillnetting}. Again, please do try to keep up.;)

Although I am not sure that I think any such ban will make any noticable beneficial impact to the steelheading population I would follow that ban if it came along. As for other types of bans such as bait (favor that ban) and wading (don't see that one getting much leverage) they are interesting, but off topic.

Back to the morning news and refreshing my bowl of popcorn.

8. lostriver99

lostriver99 New Member

Media:
    My take is if you are going to "fly fish" for steelhead then learn to swing your fly and do it the right way. With all the nymphing going on these days, its no wonder we are seeing more fish floating belly up on the Ronde, Methow, Wenatchee etc.. If you are nymphing for steelhead you might as well just get the gear rod out and use the fly rod for another day. 10 fish on a nymph still doesn't equal 1 great wild fish taken on a swung fly. Just my take. Too many people trying to maximize the fish count instead of the true experience.

9. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    5 pages of BS, superiority, and name calling and not one substantial fact. I WILL NOT SUPPORT A LAW BASED ON THE PERSONAL PREFERENCE OF A SINGLE GROUP!! PERIOD!! If said law was just and benefitial to the recovery of steelhead I would support it whole heartedly.

Where's Bob? You started this thread and I'd really like to hear what you've based your proposed law on. Feel free to PM if you prefer.

10. the_trout_bum

the_trout_bum ifish

mumbles ive never disliked you more than i do right now:beathead:

11. TomB

TomB Active Member

AMEN brother.

12. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    what has happened to the west end rivers??? simple! bank to bank net sets which non selectively kill everything.

WDFW has and will do nothing to upset the co managers, that is the political reality which drives wildlife decisions. the meager science of fisheries management has zero to do with the decisions we all get to live with. WDFW is a politicial agency, not a science based agency. you must first digest that fact before you can make much sense of what they throw at all of us.

unfortunately, the state is not the one charged with enforcement of the ESA, enter NOAA and the NMFS. could we get the nets out??? you bet, but it would take legal action to force NOAA to then force the state to get the nets out of the water.

the indians had used very effective and efficient techniques for harvesting the village needs. the white man wanted those same fish so baned fish weirs, traps and wheels. once boldt was in place, the indians saw the green in the dead fish and went after them with the same greedy eyes as the white man. (end of short history lesson)

could the indians still harvest their 50% while releasing, unharmed, all wild fish? yes, just get the nets out, allow weirs and support the non-indian troll fleet. simple solution which will cost big bucks to force into place, but doable.

now back on topic................

i fished from a drift boat for years on the oregon coastal rivers. i must say that trying to wade fish on a majority of them would have been next to impossible. but what we did do was anchor up and cast to likely fish lies. so in this case, the boat was still a transport mechanism and since we could not get out on the bank, we used it as a fishing platform. the problem with this strategy is we could access virtually every likely fish lie down an entire river run thereby providing zero refuge for fish from fishing pressure, not a bad thing if you are trying to rid the river of raceway fish.

the deschutes in oregon is a different story. getting out of the boat is the law and the river system encourages you to walk, wade and fish. there are, however, large stretches of that river that you really can't reach by casting while wading. once you have done the entire river from warm springs down to the columbia multiple times, you will catch on to what i am talking about. now this is a good thing from the fishes perspective as natural refuges occur which you and i can't disturb.

the interesting thing about this thread, at least to me, is here we are on a fly fishing web site. the notion any number of you have is that fly fisher people are naturally conservation oriented why the conventional tackle folks are meat seekers. and yet the predominant theme that continues to come up is 'not on my river' or some varient. so much for the notion that fly fisher people are conservationists!

and, of course, that is exactly why the commerical fishing industry continues to win on all decisions. there is zero unity here to the extent that a simple petition regarding steelhead is electronically signed by an insignificant number of BB readers. i am now theorizing that turning to the conventional tackle folks may provide a means to make progress in saving anadramous fishes. at least these folks recognize the importance of taking in their lives and may just get worked up enough to protect that taking to actually do something to save wild fishes...........we shall see.........in the mean time, you conservationists might want to start thinking more globally.

13. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    gt, was there a change in the survival rate of fish in the deschutes after the ban on boats?

14. smc

smc Active Member

Media:
    2009 is a record year for steelhead on the Deschutes (since the dams went up). They must be doing at least a few things right.

Not on my river.

15. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    not sure 'survival' is the correct word. more fish/mile? yes.

16. the_trout_bum

the_trout_bum ifish

i guide.
    i guide out of a boat.
    i guide out of a boat with clients.
    i guide out of a boat with clients that cant cast 15ft.
    i guide out of a boat with clients that cant cast 15ft and pay a lot of money for a quality day of fishing on the water.

and if i have to utilize the use of a boat to do so, so be it. A boat is nothing more than a tool, same as waders, boots, reels, rods, flies, tippet, leaders, nets, and everything else you implement for a day riverside. get over yourselves.:beathead:

17. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Media:
    Thanks gt. Enough to keep me going. I think I'll contact ODFW for some more details.

Are there any rivers in Washington with similar boat restrictions as the Deschutes?

Trout_bums response is one of the many reasons I try not to jump to conclusions about these types of issues. He didn't say this, but we're talking about taking away a tool of his trade effectively crippling the way he currently does business.

smc, the entire Columbia River system is getting record returns, including rivers with hatchery programs and no boat bans, so I have a hard time making that connection.

18. the_trout_bum

the_trout_bum ifish

thanks brett

19. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Yes, you are ignorant, and whats funny is you don't even seem to realize it. Perhaps you're an innovative interwebs troll, but I doubt it. More than likely you're self deluded into believing that you know all there is to know about steelhead issues.

At any rate, please for your sake (and the sake of other sportsfishermen) read the Boldt decision, you'll begin to understand why I've been so harsh on you. The nets are NOT a state issue but rather one at the FEDERAL level due to the tribes being soveriegn nations. In addition, if you bothered to educate yourself, you'd learn the issue with the tribes have it's roots in the same behavior you are showing right now (yes this whole Boldt thing is about the state F'n up stuff)...

Now back to the real point. Is there any valid reason not to support it other than the emotional desire to stick it to someone? I believe that *some* watersheds would be greatly helped by this. For instance the Sol Duc suffers from a parade of boats from dawn till dusk. I've fished it plenty of times from a boat and caught more than my share of fish. But at some point that river really needs a break. Perhaps a limit to guide traffic? Perhaps even and odd days? Either way, I do see Bob's point.

20. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Actually there is a complete misunderstanding on who this ban benefits and who it doesn't. More than a few gear guys fish from shore too. The affected only include the folks who side drift from a boat, float fishermen who fish from a boat, nymphers and plug pullers. As far as I know, gear can still be chucked from shore, nymphs drifted through runs etc... Hell on the Deschutes you can still even pull plugs if you know how to set up a side planer properly. So while it is something you may object to, the benefit is NOT just for guys who swing flys.