Band

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by DuckHntr, Feb 28, 2008.

1. DuckHntr New Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Well since I am a re-born member of this site I figured that I share this with everyone. It happened the second to last weekend in Duck hunting season, when I shot my first banded duck. It was awesome and I can't explain how excited I was. It even just turned out to be the last bird of the season for me. Got the certificate and it was banded last year in Winnipeg. The bird is at the taxidermist.
  2. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Congrats on your first band. jump shooting? decoying? whats the story there?

I shot my first non-mallard band last year. A hen wood duck (pic in my gallery). i was hunting along a small stretch of moving water and about to call it a day when i heard a bird down from me. I turned and see her flying from my right to left, crossing about 15 yards in front of me. My gun was laying in the grass at my side and right when she got even with me I decided to not give her the free pass, reach down, shoulder my gun and drop her with one shot just before she rounded the bend. I waded out to get her and as she rolled over in the current the band flipped up on her leg. :) Been trying to get a banded wood duck for a long time, or any band other than a mallard for that matter and it finally came together.
  3. DuckHntr New Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Forgot about the story...

Some friends and I were hunting on the Columbia, two groups cause there was 6 of us. It was on private land on an orchard that we have permission to hunt by Wanatchee. My brother and I (along with a friend) were doing alright couple mallards, goldeneyes, wigeon and our friends that were hunting down river wanted to go jump some geese. Well they have the better spot so we go down and sit in their blinds (they called and wanted us too). Well 2 minutes after they left a single wigeon comes in and my friend and I blast it ( for some reason we always shoot at the same time). Couple minutes later a solo drake comes in and then flares decides not to commit, doesn't flare but wants to try and land on the other side(by me) and as he is coming around I shoot him over the orchard. They came back and were upset ( but we still :beer1: in celebration...after of course) my first band and the first band for our group of friends!
  4. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    That pic had wentachee orchard written all over it. :)
    I dont hear of a lot of bands shot up there, nor many from Manitoba.
    I have shot a lot of bands and including my good friends probaly 30+ in the last three years. Most come from Alberta(peace river) or are local mallards, but we have also got birds from Sask., Idaho, Oregon, Montana and California.
    Congrats again. :)
  5. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    Speaking of banded birds, I dropped a pheasant while hunting the Driscoll Island area south of Oroville. It had a band with "Coyote Ridge" on it. Turns out that's a correctional facility near Spokane that raises pheasants for release.

That's bird was doin' time, straight up, Jack. :clown: