Banks Lake

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by triploidjunkie, Mar 22, 2011.

1. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,332 / 0
    For all you warmwater junkies out there. Banks lake fishing should be the best in thirty odd years this summer. They are planning to draw down the lake thirty feet to work on the dam at the south end of the lake. I was too young to remember, but old timers say the last time they did that it made hundreds of small lakes, trapping mutiple species in these ponds. The fishing was off the charts.
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,671 / 2
    I remember when I was like... 15 or so, they dropped it waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down. Made for some seriously good fishing
  3. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Predicted elevations down from full pool:

By August 15: 1563.0 or 7.0 feet down
    By August 31: 1556.4 or 13.6 feet down
    By September 30: 1543.3 or 26.7 feet down
    By October 31 : 1540.0 or 30.0 feet down
  4. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +225 / 1
    Fishing or shooting fish in a bucket?
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,671 / 2
    The whole south end of the lake's going to be completely empty
  6. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    Hmmmm !!! I will be living there !!!
  7. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    I spent alot of time growing up in coulee city, and thats is where my dad was raised.

this should be cool. I remember stories about when they first filled it, and the RATTLESNAKE INVASION
  8. aaronk Member

Bow, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I gotta get back there one of these days... Pulled a 13.9lb walleye out of there many years ago!
  9. jackchinook Member

Winthrop, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I'm wondering about the boat ramps and whether this might cut down on the number of trailered boats on the lake. Might be a cartoppers delight!
  10. Dustin Bise Active Member

float tube. i know where i will be camping/rock climbing late sep/early oct.

mybe a great chance to have a gathering?

I know some nice places to camp out there and there is gonna be epic fishing if it is really 30ft lower. ALOT of the lake will go away.
  11. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Thanks for the heads-up. I fish Banks in the Summer for bass and walleye. Have to pay attention this year
  12. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    note to self... visit washington this fall...

is Banks the one rocky ford flows into? with the drawdown it could make some interesting lower RF brown fishing no?
  13. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    No. Banks is north of Rocky Ford above Dry Falls, etc. It's formed by water pumped up from Lake Roosevelt and its outflow irrigates NCW.
  14. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    ohh its Moses lake
  15. Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Just a thought, but will this drawdown negetively impact the the lower lakes? Dry Falls Lenore etc? Any thoughts or observations?
  16. Dustin Bise Active Member

17. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,332 / 0
    It's starting. Six inches a day. 15 feet by the end of the month. I wonder where all those big fish are going to go by the end of September. From some of the local old-timers, it sounds like when it gets that low it creates hundreds of small lakes, with large numbers of fish concentrated in each one. The whole local fishing community is holding it's collective breath.
    I bet it might be possible for good fly fishing for trout by then. The water will be so low and warm I'm going to be looking for them holding at spring entrances.
  18. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
  19. Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Banks lake is very deep. My fishfinder shows depths of 70' plus, so a 30' drop will still leave lots of water. Also, there will be restrictions on access over the exposed lake bed. I read that a boat ramp at the north end will still operate but you will need 4 wheel drive to reach the water across the muddy lake bed without sinking. There is a website with more info but I can't remember where I saw it, but you should be able to find it using a Google Search.
  20. Dustin Bise Active Member

float tubes will be viable.