Basic Saltwater flies

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nol, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Nol

Nol Needs to fish more..

Media:
    If you were hitting the local beaches for Sea run cuts, Coho and other species what would you fill your box with?? I have fished the recent pink run and have done well with a pink and white clouser minnow. What other flies should i add to my arsenal???

2. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Clousers and Clouser style flies in all sizes and colors. Size 8-1/0. In chartreuse/white, olive/white, red/yellow, blue/white and so on. If you're trying to build a fly box Clousers are the way to go, as they're easy and quick to tie, work well and give you so much room in tying style. You can modify them for river trout or even deep halibut.

Others on here will have more specific recommendations I'm sure. But the Clousers are good for staters.

Jeff

3. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

Media:
    Home Page:
    I don't think the deciever gets as much play up here as it does in the east, but I have tied some and I like them. I have really enjoyed a cone-head deciever, but I build up the back of the cone with a reverse-taper in the same color, so you get a fly that "jigs."

One thing about decievers is that they tip on their side when you strip them. I don't like this as much sometimes, when I want a bright flash of color over a white belly, but for trying to look like an injured baitfish, I think it's great.

On both decievers and clousers, I always tie in a red gill slash and often leave some trailing red floss behind the gills. On the decievers, I paint on eyes. I think eyes and gills trigger strikes.

I have also caught a lot of resident fish on sculpin patterns, little more than olive wooley buggers tied with dumbell eyes, fished low and slow.

4. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:
    I've done better for Silvers with flies up higher in the water column, even surface bugs, thoguh many say Clousers all the way. Basically, you want to imitate baitfish or shrimp in both look and locomotion, so white fading up to blue/green or tan-ish or tan/olive/pink for shrimpy looking things and I have more of a tendency to weight the shrimp than the baitfish. Unless the baitfish is like a sculpin or eel.

Willie

5. marcopolo

marcopolo Member

As much as I hate casting clousers, they are extremely effective for SRCs.
    Last spring, I experimented with a completely black clouser with a couple of strands of gold flash and yellow eyes and I have not had to experiment anymore after that.
    I did tie some sparse black bait patterns similar to my clousers to fish higher in the water column and did real well too.

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Bruce Ferguson's Herring is my favorite pattern for silvers. I've caught lots of cutts on it also.
    Bruce is one of the pioneers of Puget Sound fly fishing. I discovered this pattern years ago in the book, "Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon" written by Bruce, Les Johnson and Pat Trotter. Great book by the way. I hope it gets updated some day like Les's recently released cutthroat book. It is an old pattern that still works great on silvers for me. You can also tie it in multiple colors and sizes to match the size of baitfish in the sound. I tie them in olive, dark green, purple, chartreuse, orange and pink over white or gray. I also like to add a flash tail to it. The pattern incorporates a stinger hook, which works well when silver short strike. Some folks think fishing stingers hurts the fish, but I haven't found that to be the case since the hooks are barbless anyway. If you don't like fishing two hooks, just cut off the front one. If the stinger gets dinged on the beach, the mono loop allows you to change the hook. No need to toss a good fly out just because the hook got dinged.
    As other also have mentioned, clousers are hard to beat.
    Brian

7. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Les is hard at work on a complete update of Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon. It will reportedly have many new flies. He also has a good article in the current Salmon, Trout, Steelheader that includes a page of Bill Nelson's Salmon Flies. I am a fan of Clousers, Flash Tail Clousers and Clouser Half n' Half's. I would also recommend that you look at Tube Flies: A Tying, Fishing & Historical Guide by Les Johnson and Mark Mandell. This book has many great Salmon patterns on tubes. One of my favorites is the Calamarko Squid. It can be tied from 2" to 8" and Coho attack it. Last year I had one Coho on, the tube slid up the leader and another Coho nailed the tube on the surface. Check out Letcher Lambuth's Sand Lance, Herring and his classic Coronation. I am having a lot of fun tieing and fishing some of the old classics. I also have to include the Flashabou Comet in Cerise, Chartruese, Purple and Emerald Green.
    Good luck, Steve

8. Jason Baker

Jason Baker Member

Media:
    Shock 'n Awe!!!

In various sizes, I have seen this tube fly catch pinks, silvers, resident silvers, SRC, rockfish, ling cod, pargo (sea bass), cocinero (jack family), and numerous in shore fish. I would not fish the salt without this fly....

Attached Files:

9. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Don't forget Stimulators, Caddis Flies, Muddlers, Wulffs, Bees, Chum baby's and a few of Leland Miyawaki's awesome Beach Poppers too!

10. Luke Filmer

Luke Filmer Member

Media:
    I think the most imortant fly is the one you put right in front of the fish's nose!
    I have caught fish in the salt with almost all the above mentioned patterns with the exception of Master Triggs dry fly selection.
    Take a look at the pattern "Willie Bodger" uses for his icon. Everytime I see his posts I admire that fly!
    Is that a candlefish?
    Looks really good!

11. Nol

Nol Needs to fish more..

Media:
    Thanks for all the advice. I am new to saltwater fishing (just cut my teeth on south sound pinks for the last month) and looking forward to fishing the salt more. :thumb:

12. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Although clousers do work very well on most all species of fish. If you are releasing....which we do most of the time; the hook rides up and can result in a bleeding fish. Although I still have the traditional clousers in my arsonal I began tying them in a cone head style so that the hook rides down. My experience is that the cone style is as effective and may even cast better than traditional clouser.
    To keep the hook riding down and not to the side, make sure the materials are tied directly in line with the hook shank, the type of materials and quantity you use will also effect how it rides.

13. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Media:

14. tyler

tyler Member

Media:
    back east, a guy by the name of ken abrames has been creating some beautiful and effective flat wing patterns. i think his web site is www.stripermoon.com (or something like that).

t

15. Nol

Nol Needs to fish more..

Media:
    What sizes should i have these flies in???

16. tyler

tyler Member

Media:
    nol, are you asking me re: the flatwings? i haven't been using the flatwings. just wanted to share that site.

in general, though, i've been tying my puget sound beach flies on sizes 6, 4, 2 and 1/0. hook size is important, but you'll also want to consider the size of the bait that's present where you fish.

t

17. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Media:
    I'm a big fan of surf candies, along with all the other flies already mentioned.

Dane

18. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Tyler, Nathan Keen of The Avid Angler has adapted Ken Abrames flatwings to the Puget Sound region with a Pacific Herring, Sand Lance, Sculpin and Attractor pattern. He teaches a class on that style of fly that I would highly recommend. Dylan Rose of Puget Sound Fly Fishing also uses the style effectively in the Sound. The movement and blending of colors makes this style attractive.

19. tyler

tyler Member

Media:
    thanks, steve. i know nate and have been in the shop quite a few times.

seems like there's many east coast patterns/styles that are applicable out here. besides ken abrames, patterns from innovative tyers like ray bondorew, d.l. goddard, lou tabory, joe blados, etc... also come to mind.

in fact, one of goddard's patterns has a permanent place in my puget sound beach box and i'm confident that it will be very effective with little adaptation. also, one of my favorite false albacore patterns has been productive on SRCs, pinks and silvers.

t

20. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Pacific sand lance and Atlantic sand lance are the same critter; American sand lance. So, the pattern, however it is tied; surf candy, flatwing or Willimas Point style, iis essentially the same. Out here we do tend to tie our sand lance imitations in a wider variety of sizes than they do down east. When I fished stripers out of Cape Cod a couple of years back my high success with varied sizes of sand lance patterns proved to be an eye-opener for the guys back there who were locked in on 1/0 and 2/0 Surf Candy flies.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson