Basin Blues

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by trout123z, Apr 1, 2009.

1. trout123z

trout123z New Member

Went to Beda near the end of last week and after walking into the north shore launch while gearing up I heard some voices by the point. After further investigation I saw 5-7 hispanics getting on a number of dirt bikes and riding off with several gunny sacks full of fish headed cross country. I just caught them mounting up and could not believe what I had seen. I let my warden friend know and he called the local wardens. Once I launched I saw about a dozen dead fish that looked like smaller ones that they had left behind. I caught a few fish that day but the lake seemed off as did my spirits. Anyone else had similar problems?

2. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

This seems to happen at quite a few lakes.

3. RPL/LL

RPL/LL Member

Have seen several situations of that nature over the years,seems like every time things start getting good on a body of water no matter what type of fish,there they are wack'n & pack'n..damn scissorbills........

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    That's why a number of us try to not mention Beda in posts here. Sadly though, it's inevitable, no matter how much one tries to keep it quiet.

K

5. tippet

tippet hardcore flyfishing addict

It's ridiculous to not mention Beda. It is no secret. Its like being hush hush about Coffeepot, Amber, Dry Falls, Quail, etc. There truly are secret lakes out there, but Beda isn't one of them.

6. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    It's not ridiculous. It's not a secret, no shit. But it's certainly not ridiculous to try to reduce the pressure a little by not publicizing so damned much. Gotta think of more than one angle to understand what someone might be talking about... give it a shot.

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

:beathead::beathead::beathead:

8. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I sincerely doubt the dudes packing off trout in sacks with motorcycles are finding out about it on Washington Fly Fishing.

Nevertheless, I tend to avoid mentioning names of places whether I think they are secret or not...that's not the issue. It is about increased fishing pressure as a result of a good fishing report somebody posted on the internet.

9. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

While drifting the Yakima we caught a couple of hispanics catching trout near Umptanum. We politilely informed them that the Yakima was catch and release. They left with a small stringer of fish. Sadly I don't think they knew and probably didn't have a fishing license, just trying to put food on the table. They were polite and apologetic.

Keith

10. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

Keith,

I don't mind them putting food on the table. But they should be made aware that there are better places to do it than from the Yakima River. And there are other species to take rather than trout. And there are regulations about how to do it. And fishing is not free.

Speaking of fishing, when we going? :thumb:

11. bkorbol

bkorbol Member

I fished Nunnally Lake for six days over the last couple of weeks. Saw a number of local Latino's fishing with spinning gear in the bushes at the west end of the lake. On Wednesday morning went to get in my boat near the main launch and it had been stolen by a couple of the locals. I caught them hiding in the cat tails sitting in my boat about half way down the lake. Looked like they had kept a few fish, were using bait and spinning gear. I guess the lesson is don't leave anything down at the lake. Pack it out every day! Wished the local game wardens would spent a little more time enforcing the rules.

12. Trout Master

They walk or drive up the road at the outlet of the lake. I wish the state would put a gate across it. I have kicked out many of them when I see them. I sent the WDFW a email about this and got no response.

13. Hope you got your boat back and kicked some butt. As this economy takes its toll you'll see more and more of this, unfortunately. Every time to drive to Home Depot, there seems to be more temp day workers looking for work.

14. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

In this economy???
    I'm sorry but the fish and game poachers are still going to poach, not buy lic, they (the poacher) could give a shit.
    It's doesn't matter if it's Beda or the Yak these poachers are getting food stamps and poaching, hell they eat better than most of us.
    Back to "in this economy", the parks get closed, the game guys get laid off.
    We (the fishers and hunters) have already paid for these hatchery fish and boat launches, and parks.
    I'm just getting sick and tired of seeing the bad guys get rewarded for being bad guys.
    If some ass hats had my boat I would be calling the law and I would be ranting and raveing to the 911 operator until some LEO got there, damn this kinda shit pisses me off.
    dd out

15. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Don't worry David and Gary,
    They knew we were quite upset and that they shouldn't be there and that the lakes around Ellensburg were a better place to fish. I don't believe we had a cell phone and they don't work in many places in the canyon.
    I also understand that Nunnally, Lenice, and Merry get hit quite often. Just need better patrols by the sheriff and fish and wildlife.

Keith

16. ribka

ribka Active Member

Have no problem mentioning "secret" lakes like Beda. Fish it often and as mentioned in a previous post poachers do not log into WFF to find the most recent secret spot. Some people on here seem to think only they should have access to certain lakes. I am all about scouting and doing homework to find a good fishing area but none of these lakes discussed on here are secret. I would rather have more law abiding fly/gear fishermen at a lake to see and report poachers than a few fly fishermen on a a lake 1-2 days a week and poachers taking advantage the other days. Less people = more opportunities for poachers. People breaking the law do not want other people around when they do this.

If you see someone poaching, even if you don't have phone service, go up to them and say you are calling the police. ( I have done this many many times over the years and it has always worked). I see this all of the time on East side lakes . When I fish lakes ( Dusty, Beda, Coffee Pot, Lenice, Lenore) and I often see guys bait fishing. Funny thing is there are usually 1/2 doz other guys fly fishing on the lake already and they just ignore them and won't do anything about. Have to take a more proactive role to protect the few selective gear lakes that we have guys. If you see people walking into a lake with 1/2 oz egg sinkers and treble hooks chances are they will be poaching. Go up to them and tell them it is illegal.

Same goes for tweekers hanging around parking areas near lakes. Go up to them and let them know that you see them.

17. Trout Master

I agree with saying something to the poachers. Tell them and they are gone . I agree be proactive .

18. wolverine

wolverine Member

The past few years I take pictures of "'suspicious" looking people and their vehicles. If they don't have fishing gear I consider them to be a perp. They get really nervous when they see someone taking their picture and usually leave in a hurry.

19. ribka

ribka Active Member

Forgot to metion:

Kudos to trout123z for trying to do something about the poaching. More guys have to start doing this in this state. If you are uncomfortable and alone try and find another fisherman to go up to people poaching when you speak to them. Everyone knows now cell phones can take photos and send text messages. When you approach just hold up cell phone and say you took photo and sent to Game Warden/ Police. Works great.

20. Cliff

Cliff Member

I was the last boat off the water at Lenice last Saturday and I saw there were three or four guys at the east end of the lake goofing around. I'm assuming they were fishing but I couldn't tell from where I was. They were having a good time and laughing, though. They were there for two or three hours before nightfall, and were still there when I left at dusk. What kind of bothered me, though, was leaving my tube and gear at the shore, which is what I normally do. So, I took most of the fly boxes, spare reels, spools, etc., and left only the net. I'm glad I did after reading this thread about Nunally. By the way, I carry a little waterproof digital camera around me neck when I'm fishing and if I see something weird I take a photo. A few years ago I saw a suspicious guy at Beda who I thought might be a poacher. I snapped a photo of his rig with the plate number.

Cliff