Basin Blues

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by trout123z, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Sageman Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I did the same thing at Omak last spring. Guy in a red truck seemed to be loitering near the launch where I had my vehicle parked and we were the only ones on the north end of the lake that day. I have a pretty good digital SLR with a telephoto lens, so I snapped a couple of pictures from well out on the lake. Nothing happened, but I checked out the photos when I got home and I managed to get his entire license plate number and a profile of his face that would have been reasonable for a WANTED poster. Almost wish he would have tried something.....
  2. Jerry Arlington Member

Grandview, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Is it not legal to fish Nun,Mary, and Lenice with spinning gear, single barbless hooks? I think it is but not absolutely sure. It does not say "fly fishing only" just selective gear.

I saw several spin fishermen at Lenice this past weekend and most were white. I did see some bait fishermen and they were, white, black, and latino.

And I would like to say to all fly fishermen, if your fish is bleeding keep that damned thing, your suppose to. Don't let it go to the bottom and turn belly up or float off someplace! I haven't eaten a trout in thirty plus years, but I did bring home two this past weekend and gave them away because they were going to die anyhow! There were two of us, three days fishing, so were weren't stocking up.

I didn't advertise I had them because I didn't want to get in a pissing match with someone who wouldn't stand a chance. I carry a big gun and more knowledge than I can use legally. I hate conflicts. :beathead:

Jerry Arlington
  3. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +481 / 0
    Jerry - yes, it is selective you're correct. I, too, have seen people spin fishing successfully from the bank on all three of these lakes with what appeared at a reasonable distance to be correct gear. You're totally right man.

But if you see that they're casting and letting it sink and then waiting and bullshitting and so on, then they're either fishing bait or mentally challenged so it might be worth a closer look. I, too, am not fond of conflict - but when I feel that a resource close to my heart is being threatened by the ignorant (giving the benefit of the doubt) I am compelled to do what can be done given the conditions. In my experience producing a cellphone and making it clear (from a fair distance) that you're calling the authorities the reaction I've seen repeatedly is to pack up their shit and leave.

I hate it when I find myself in that spot, it's often been when I'm alone on a lake with the exception of the perps that outnumber me. Maybe I'm just askin' for trouble but like I said, feel compelled.
  4. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    hey at least they are poaching stockers
  5. Redside1 New Member

Battle Ground, Wa
    I was at Beda last week, fishing was off, a bit windy, but still managed to land a few. I did see quite a number of dead fish while kicking out to the main lake. While I didnt see any hispanics poaching I saw some guys keeping fish. I did mention to them it was a one fish limit lake, but the group of four guys fishing didnt seem to care. In fact they got a little aggitated at me, since there were four of them and one of me I backed off. I'm sure by the carton of worms they had with them they didnt care about the lake regulations anyway. I know some people try to claim ignorance of the law, but that is still no excuse. The regulations are printed in black and white for everyone to read. I'm sure they even have a spanish version of it somewhere for the hispanics who claim to be ignorant of the law also. No telling how many times the guys I saw at Beda that day had fished it in the last couple of weeks taking as many fish as they like, they looked like locals. Its just sad to see our excellent lakes get hammered by people who have no respect for rules and regulations.
  6. Fast Action Freddie Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    i'll ask the same question to you as the first poster: did you call the law??????

it's great that we talk and swap ideas here (and i don't want to discourage that), but we also need to take action out there -- or it will not get better. and will likely get worse per the economy.

that said, i've seen suspected poachers on nunally and did not call (years ago ... before cell phones). but after hearing how widespread it is, i would now.
  7. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    :iagree: Call the law - but do it safely. Play cool like okay no sweat man and leave get your shit together to your vehicle and be ready to bail before you dial that phone. The example I was talking about was like: those migrant workers sure the hell aren't packin' and I'm in a float tube at Lenice watching them bucket fish. I do have 1 bar of service but see no need to use it as they deposited the fish in the water which I revived (diff't story) BUT - that's the difference - I wasn't confronting the three dudes on land face to face. Be careful. And tight lines.

Edit: I did worry about my truck the rest of the time I fished - but given how fast they gtfo of there when I mentioned the "Pohhhh-leeeeessssss" I figured it was probly okay.
  8. RPL/LL Member

everett,wa
    Yep it's a big time problem/issue,now days my group don't even call after a wonderful day at dry falls a few yrs back,four of us watched 2 guys in a boat with bait fill two 5gal. buckets.now get ready for this we counted the exact amount of fish taken,there was four of us my buddie,his dad my dad and me..4 witnesses,I called it in after the limit was reached we all told'm we called didn't bother them,2hrs go by no warden,no police,so we all pack up and wait for them to come in,chated a bit they had coats over the buckets and said they only kept a limit each.Right, so we followed them out right to there camp site at the park I got the ranger and told him about it,he took my name and where I was stay'n and called it in.Around 8:30 that night the warden showed up at the room 4hrs later and told me he and the ranger found them coming off park lake with a legal days limit and also seen all the other fish they had from earlier that day,gave them a harsh verbal warning,due to he didn't want to ruin there weekend..now this all took place on fri. and they told him they got there early that morning...So my ? to him was what about overlimit and possesion? He just look'd at me and said it's my decision and that's it.I just grabbed a beer and said wow nice support and went in the room. ALL we do know is worry about what we are doing..hows that for ya...
  9. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    :beathead: Yeah, that's why you went to the effort, so they'd get a little slap on the wrist, right? Sorry to hear that man. I have a lot of respect for wdfw officers doing a damned dangerous job and find it kinda hard to second guess their calls in the field - I wasn't there - but I would have hoped for the jackasses getting a ticket too.