Basin Lake freeze out

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Feb 28, 2014.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I salute those brave enough to fish the basin lakes on opening weekend. Tomorrow is forecast as a high of 21 with winds to 18mph. Sunday is a tad warmer but not much.

I may get out Saturday around noonish when it will be about as warm as it can be. I will be banking it somewhere with my fly rod and the wind at my back. It will probably be a short trip.

wadakota likes this.
  2. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    "High of 21," huh? Good luck with that..........

3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I'll probably be out fishing somewhere, but I doubt it'll will be a basin lake. I'm thinking something slightly more local, and slightly more sheltered from the wind.

4. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    18 mph, mehhh give me 35 sustained with 50 mph gusts and I'll start thinking off packing it in.

Team Rugged 2014

Nick Clayton and flybill like this.
  5. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Kudos to those going out; be safe. I'll have to pass; I don't have chains for my pram . . .

Islander and flybill like this.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    Ira got what he wanted. Gust to 37 mph today.

Team Wimp 2014

7. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    Wind chill is the equivalent of 8 degrees outside.

8. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Hey all
    If you make it out this weekend be safe stay worm
    And remember they are only fish and the weather
    Will get better. Help out a fellow fisherman in trouble!

9. zen leecher aka bill w

Media:
    Team Rugged (Ira and Troutpocket) called me about 10 minutes ago and had a triple on during the call.

troutpocket and triploidjunkie like this.
  10. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hey, do we get pictures of people fishing in the basin?? Anybody fishing through the ice at Quincy??

It is 23 degrees, east wind blowing, and light snow in Wenatchee.

I decided to do something about it.....just put in a bid for a leased lot in Arizona. We will know by 3:00pm if we get it.

Kevin J. Burnham and Bob Rankin like this.
  11. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I can't claim Team Rugged today. That's Nick out there with Ira.

12. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Team Rugged turned into Team Nicks Too Cold To Continue.
    Just called it quits. Luckily Ira has to drive home. All the way to my place since he was kind enough to come swoop me up after a major truck catastrophe yesterday. Ira is in his waders drivin down I 90 and I am far too cold to drive. Damn were tough! 20140301_145843.jpg

Jeff Dodd, McNasty, Roper and 6 others like this.
  13. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

I know that lake:)

14. wadakota

wadakota wadakota

I whimped out of my trip this weekend.. Hope my buddy does ok since he went.

15. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media:
    I'm impressed. I can't be the only one.....

16. dp

dp ~El Pescador

Beda? leaving at 600 tomorrow - headed to Lenice

17. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Drive safe. The pass was getting bad in a hurry when we came across

18. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Well that was frigid, but fun. Landed a lot of fish, only two over 16", the rest were on the small side but we had some epic indicator bites here and there. I think I can feel my fingers now. Off to fish the beach for cutties tomorrow.

19. Nick Clayton

Media:
    If only we didnt miss/lose so many. Really need to work on that commitment

chief and Irafly like this.
  20. Nick Clayton

Media:
    That was honestly one of the coldest days of my life! Not complaining one bit, because all things considered it was a hell of a fun day with great company, exactly what I've come to expect any time I fish with Ira.

I was dressed very appropriately for the cold, but I don't care how well you are dressed its only a matter of time before it starts to get to ya. We fished 2 lakes today... The first from about 9:30 till 1 or so, and the second from about 2-4. The first lake was definitely more productive, as the second was mostly iced over with a relatively small patch of open water. We had several fluries of extreme action throughout the day, with multiple doubles/triples as we fished 3 rods at all times. There was just a bit too much wind, and it was just too cold, to mess around with trying to get a 4th rod out. I brought 5 rods out with me, but never strayed from the first indicator rod I set up. I fished the same 2 flies all day as well, which was nice because retying was something I would not have enjoyed. All my fish came to either a green bodied/orange tail barrel bug, or a black bodied/red ribbed/orange tailed micro leech on a jig hook. Fish were definitely not picky. They were hungry!

Crowds were very manageable, as could be expected for that weather. Lots of bankies spread out here and there, but not many boats at all. I'm not sure how many fish we ended up landing, but it was a lot. 40-50-60.... I'm not sure. What I do know is that we missed and lost a LOT of fish. We lost way, way more than we are used to for some reason. Solid hookups just coming unbuttoned.

Only 2 fish over 16", and Ira managed both of them. The last being a FAT 18" slab that trumped them all. On top of biggest, he also landed the first fish, which also was the most interesting as it managed to get hooked and then jumped right in the boat. Quite comical. I did manage the smallest fish, at a confirmed 9 3/4". I was quite proud! Unfortunately I landed that fish when Ira was on the phone with Zen Leecher, so I didn't receive the praise I deserved. The phone call with Zen was pretty productive, as we hooked several fish including a triple while he was on the line.

Around 4 oclock we decided that I was going to catch one more fish, and we'd call it a day as we were both reaching our breaking point with the cold. Well about 10 minutes later I felt funny.... I started getting dizzy, my stomach was starting to act weird, I couldn't make my hands work the way I wanted them to, and I started shivering uncontrollably. I think I was on the verge of becoming a serious health risk, so I immediately made the announcement to Ira that I needed to head in NOW. I felt bad having to end it so abruptly, but I was a bit scared at that point. Ira was a great partner, and promptly pulled anchor and hauled ass to the launch. Once there we got the car running and sat in there to warm up. Ira wasn't as bad off as I was, so he got out first and started loading everything up. I eventually joined him, but had to take a couple breaks and I know I didn't pull my weight when it came to packing up and putting everything again. Again I feel bad, but I was just too damned miserable.

Ira had a text from his wife stating that the pass was getting bad, so we didn't waste any time getting on the road. Ira didn't bother taking his waders off till Ellensburg, where we stopped and got Burger King. I didn't realize that I hadn't eaten anything all day either, which I'm sure didn't help my ability to deal with the cold in the end. I gorged myself on flame broiled goodness, and finally started feeling human again. We managed to make it across the pass safely, but it was definitely getting nasty, and the roads were not far off from becoming a danger.

All things considered it was a fantastic day. We had grand plans for this weekend, but several factors made us change those plans several times leading up to it, with my truck break down almost putting a stop to my fishing completely. I wish Ira's brother and Jay could have gone as we originally planned, but such is the nature of trip planning I suppose.

On the second lake we were joined on the water at one point by one of those giant pontooon party boats that came out from his RV and proceeded to act as a Coast Guard Ice Breaker, ramming into the ice repeatedly for some unknown reason, before giving up and heading back to camp. Not sure what that was all about, but highly entertaining for sure. The cold definitely made things interesting, and the ice in the guides got to be a reel hassle. We flat out couldn't cast at some points, as the line just wouldn't go through the guides.

Now that I'm home and got out of a hot shower, I'm able to look back and think about what a great day it was... But I'll tell ya, my "manhood" has seldom been tested like it was today, and in the end it was Ira who was tougher than I. I get the mangina of the day award for sure. Oh well. 20140301_113547.jpg